User Tag List

Thread: Driveline backlash

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Driveline backlash

I've got a heap of backlash in the driveline somewhere between the engine and the rear wheels.

It's enough I find myself riding the clutch more than I should, or real slow on the gear changes so I don't get the clunking through the drive line.

With my limited knowledge I just assumed it was the rear diff and just expected I'd need to get that rebuilt and it'd fix it. For this reason also I haven't actually been under to check it how it feels by hand.

I was recently talking to a mechanic about it in passing and he said it'd also likely be the transfer case.

My question is, does the transfer case in these things often develop backlash? I've not ever really had an issue with a transfer case on any of my cars before so never even gave it a thought.

I'm not home to get under and check it now for a few weeks, just thought I'd throw it out there and see what experience others have had with this before I'm able to have a look for myself.

I don't think it's mounts or rubbers but I'll check all that more carefully when I get the chance too.

As below it's a manual 2003 gu TD42 with 270k on the clock FYI.
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the condition of the pinion bearing on rear diff. Grab the yoke adjacent to the diff and see if it has excessive play. Check the uni's as well same deal, start with the simplest items. Is there evidence of fluid leak from pinion seal

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No leaks on from anything on the diff, there's also no noise or whine that would normally catch my attention from the diff either.

Will check all of those. Thanks mate.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Standard issue mate with the Patrols, especially with the TD42's. Hence the reason Nissan put dual mass flywheels in the ZD's also...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (17th July 2020)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just interested .. how much worse is the vibration and backlash with a standard heavy duty clutch fitted compared to stock dual mass? Mine has terrible backlash .. mechanic says it's normal and no faults .. I have the original clutch in it .. was warned something along the lines of .. if the clutch fails you cannot tow the car .. by Nissan (who I dont go to anymore)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a heavy duty clutch with a standard flywheel. I don't really notice any vibration, but I don't think I've ever driven a duel mass setup. Backlash is my issue, I just haven't had a chance to climb under and have a look where it's actually coming from. I'm sure it's much worse than when I got it though.

I can't see any reason why you couldn't tow it if the clutch failed. Even if the box exploded you could still just disconnect the tail shaft.