I've got a heap of backlash in the driveline somewhere between the engine and the rear wheels.

It's enough I find myself riding the clutch more than I should, or real slow on the gear changes so I don't get the clunking through the drive line.

With my limited knowledge I just assumed it was the rear diff and just expected I'd need to get that rebuilt and it'd fix it. For this reason also I haven't actually been under to check it how it feels by hand.

I was recently talking to a mechanic about it in passing and he said it'd also likely be the transfer case.

My question is, does the transfer case in these things often develop backlash? I've not ever really had an issue with a transfer case on any of my cars before so never even gave it a thought.

I'm not home to get under and check it now for a few weeks, just thought I'd throw it out there and see what experience others have had with this before I'm able to have a look for myself.

I don't think it's mounts or rubbers but I'll check all that more carefully when I get the chance too.

As below it's a manual 2003 gu TD42 with 270k on the clock FYI.