Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brake balance: front to rear and left to right

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another factor that has accelerated brake wear (especially rear brake wear) in certain late model vehicles is the change to electronic brake proportioning. The proportioning valve that normally reduces hydraulic pressure to the rear brakes has been eliminated so the rear brakes will handle a higher percentage of the brake load and be more aggressive. The antilock brake system performs the job of brake proportioning by keeping an eye on how the rear brakes are behaving. If the rear brakes start to lock up when braking hard, the ABS system kicks in and cycles pressure to the rear wheels to prevent them from skidding🤔🚀🚘.
    Nissan Patrol Y60 <---------> 2010 JEEP JK
    If you're interested in watching something about jeep, look here.
    It's something of a hobby of mine.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have similar but opposite issues.. rear is braking way to much and locks very quickly before the front did anything so it feels like.
    Might replace the proportion valve.. Can somebody explain me why this is a 3-way valve? Where is the 3rd one going actually?

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,264 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    I have similar but opposite issues.. rear is braking way to much and locks very quickly before the front did anything so it feels like.
    Might replace the proportion valve.. Can somebody explain me why this is a 3-way valve? Where is the 3rd one going actually?
    Is the Patrol lifted? If so how high? Is there the spacer bracket to compensate for the lift? Have you ever bled the brakes? Bled the proportioning valve? And its not a 3 way valve, its two way. To the front and rear. The third line you see is the line in from the brake master cylinder.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

MB (16th December 2020), PeeBee (16th December 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many of the LPVs are never bled from when the Patrol is built resulting in a build up of moisture and crud which destroys the piston. When you bleed the valve, have a look at the colour of the fluid that comes out. If it is black and cruddy you may have to remove the valve and see if the piston / bore will clean up. If not - get a new valve. As far as a lift goes, I thought it would reduce braking on the rear brakes (like running with no load in the back and the ride height high). That's why when you do a high suspension lift you need to replace the LPV arm with a longer one.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

MB (16th December 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,247 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brake balance: front to rear and left to right

You two Legends here above have just kindly reminded/educated me of yet another nuffy thing I do have to attend to on my current Shed Queen GU ute.
    One of its last adventures down a gnarly staircase track the poor front axle had to take the entire weight of the truck nose balancing with the rear tyres barely on the track surface.
    Only a 2” lift coil front and ‘on air’ coil replacement rear bags with Koni 90 shocks all round but found bugger all rear brake capability shortly after that hand stand effort IIRC. (Maybe it was the opposite brake loss way FR :-) ?
    Found my springy off the proportiony rear valvey arm thingy had completely popped off from what I could only understand as severe over stretching.
    I’m assuming my silly aftermarket current setup didn’t hold the rear axle back enough at OEM proportional valve area maximum allowances?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi is it possible to put front brake callipers on to the rear without to much work as i have a brand new set of front callipers

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,264 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Franksy4 View Post
    Hi is it possible to put front brake callipers on to the rear without to much work as i have a brand new set of front callipers
    No. Not possible. Different mounting bolt pattern, different brake pads, different size caliper pistons.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (18th May 2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12