Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My TB42e GQ build thread.

Hey all,

Was gonna do my intro, but figured I might as well start a bit of a build thread while I'm at it.

My name is Michael, I'm 26, hailing from the SE suburbs. This is my second GQ, first was a Maverick Shorty:

27.jpg

Shorty was a great car, but it needed love, and being in Uni at the time, I didn't really have the time or money that it needed. It ended up blowing a head gasket and I moved on. One Subaru Liberty later, I got this..

It's a TB42E currently dual fuel (about to change). Picked it up in November of 2017 like this:

20171127_191821.jpg

From there I didn't do too much to it for the first couple years, bar some some basic bits like:
    removing the none working cruise control,
    changed the exhaust with one I got off my dad's old car
    Removed 3rd row seats and built a false floor
    Added awning, light bar
    installed front recovery points

This year has brought a bit more disposable income and time (cheers quarantine), so I've been plugging away getting bits done. Sorting through the photos and trying to work out what order i did shit in, follow up post to come.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mykill For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (10th July 2020), PeeBee (11th July 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome mate.
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking beast, love that colour combination with the alloys.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Placeholder post

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MAN, these things do not give you a break huh..

Had recently had an issue where my car wouldn't stay consistently charged.. Went camping when things were open in vic (regional at least any way), and in the morning the car was flat. Thankfully managed to get a jump and made my way home.

The car has been spending a bit of time sitting, but it was a weird one, as we drove an hour to get there. The car also seemed to be making a bit more noise than normal... like fan noise or something, couldn't put my finger on it.

Ended up sending it off to an Auto-elec here in Traralgon, as my missus was needing to head back into melbourne for family medical stuff. With her gone, the GQ is my only option for a car. I needed the car fixed basically.

Sent it off, came back that a fusebox/relay box that I'd installed in the front of my car was causing a parasitic draw. I also had them check my aircon as it was making a nasty noise when I turned it on, turns out I was low on Gas, so they filled it up. Thought it was weird that the relays would be causing draw seeing as they should be off when the car was off, but I figured I'd add it to the list of shit to look into when I had time and was happy shit was fixed (and cheaper than expected too).

Seeing as it seemed to be fixed (wasn't going flat), and I was feeling a bit better about the car being not broken for a change, I decided to have a crack at cleaning the engine bay. Didn't take a before, but this is the after (it's not much, but it's better).

242323508_375791884190493_205086775393763326_n.jpg

Anyway, missus left for melbourne yesterday, went to go get some dinner tonight. FIRST START WHILE ON MY OWN HERE:

6NfmQ (1).jpg

Wouldn't you know it, as soon as I started the car, the damn alternator starts smoking and catches fire. Thankfull I had the bonnet open in the shed so I spotted it immediately, turned the car off and no real harm.

So now I'm here with no car, thinking it was too good to be true that the auto-elec fixed the car so simply, and I was a dumbass that pushed the extra noise out of my head being optimistic.

Thinking I'll order an alternator express shipped and have a go at changing it myself.
    I believe THIS is the right one, but it says TB42S and not E in the header, so I'll give them a call tomorrow to sus.

Anyone swapped the alternator for a tb42e? Should be straight forward right? Anything to look for?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn, didn't realise you can't edit posts..

Was just gonna add, what's the chances that I stuffed something cleaning the bay? I did spray water and degreaser about doing it, but I covered the alternator and bulk of the fuses and stuff with plastic bags.

Seems more likely to me that it was on it's way out as it did seem noisy..