Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Electrical interference with HF radio

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My HF Codan NGT AR interferes with my UHF 80 channel CB. I can only have one on at a time when the vehicle's moving. Haven't tried both on when stationary yet. I get intermittent to full time static in my UHF from the HF.

@the evil twin might be able to help.
    Last edited by DX grunt; 10th July 2020 at 04:55 AM.
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DX grunt For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (10th July 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I haven't posted as there is not much that others haven't already suggested... IMHO it seems suspiciously like a couple of issues IE I think there was /is an earth loop which improved when everything was disturbed and possibly something else is leaking HF interference.

HF is a black art at the best of times so sacrificing a virgin chicken at midnight on the solunar equinox using a crystal blade with a unicorn bone handle shaped by dwarves can often help...

If you can't do that the next best thing I found to help with dodgy comms kit during my time in the military is swear a lot while kicking the shit out of it.
    Rarely gets it too work but you def feel better for it.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

mudnut (11th July 2020), Plasnart (10th July 2020)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks gents, I am going to launch into the earthing checks next monday after the wife goes back to work and I have an uninterrupted period of time to work thru it. Strange its only in this particular band around 8meg, but it affects 4 channels from 7.2 - 8.5meg - damn annoying.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 3,174 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Phil, if you want to pm your phone number I could give you a call to chat about the problem.
    Noise on HF can be a bugger of a thing to track down and is worse with older vehicles as earthing between different parts of the car can be resistive.
    If you were close I would try and track it down with a spectrum analyser but you Covid 19 infected Mexicans can't mix with the rest of us.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TPC View Post
    But you Covid 19 infected Mexicans can't mix with the rest of us.
    When you're near Mt Gambier, Phil could come here for a visit. We could drive past Nelson, and push his driverless Patrol across the border. You could fix it and send it back

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    When you're near Mt Gambier, Phil could come here for a visit. We could drive past Nelson, and push his driverless Patrol across the border. You could fix it and send it back
    I like that idea, but will take a few to get this barge rolling! I will speak with Tony tomorrow sometime and see if he has any specific ideas or different starting points. This forum is great for stuff like this I reckon.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 3,174 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, problem is I was in the mount this week

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I finally got to this issue and think its resolved. I cleaned off the earth points across the whole vehicle, and also added a second flat braid earth strap between the 9350 auto tuner and the chassis, all using a conductive paste at the joints. the background noise on receive went down on most channels to 1/5. on anything between 6.8 and 10.1mhz, the noise level dropped to 3/5 from 5/5. I am able to hear traffic even in Metro Melb with Covid-19 virus in the air, so am happy i think. The next bush trip will be the telling point. What is interesting though, if I then select a channel and push the tune button, the background noise rises to 4/5 on those pesky freq's above, and the 3/5 for the other quiet frequencies. I might end up taking the set across to lara Electronics and have Peter James run his expertise over it just to be sure.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know anyone else that has the same set up? Swapping items one at a time to eliminate each is the way to go. Otherwise you just keep chasing your tail.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsGU View Post
    Do you know anyone else that has the same set up? Swapping items one at a time to eliminate each is the way to go. Otherwise you just keep chasing your tail.
    Unfortunately no, I am working thru a process of elimination, however even with the radio powered off a totally independent battery, not connected to the car, the base noise level is high, so I will see what its like next time I am out in the bush, away from all the passive metro noise. If its still noisy then the radio may need checking. From what I can see, the installation is fine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast