Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ZD30 Aircon Compressors

Hey Lads,

Long time lurker and reader, but i think this may be one of my first times posting.

This thread is discussing the specifics of replacing the A/C compressors in the ZD's and some of the super niche, non-advertised differences and problems with replacing them. I have had quite the search around and cannot find anything of this sort on any patrol related forum (that is written in english). It was a toss up to place this in Mechanical or Auto Electrical however i chose the latter as I've always viewed A/C as more electrical than mechanical. TLDR at bottom.

Vehicle Reference: 2008 GU, ZD30DDTI (Common Rail). Factory A/C compressor, factory gas.

Backstory

A while ago my electric clutch pack on the front of the A/C compressor began failing to engage. I could remedy this by spamming the A/C button in the cab and when that stopped working - pulling the relay, starting the car, plugging relay back in and then spamming the button. Over time this has also failed and now the clutch does not engage at all.

I do not require fault-finding assistance – I have the complete workshop manuals and have followed the exact procedures to determine this. Further inspection by a mate who is qualified has confirmed this.

The decision point was found. Do I buy a new compressor or do I just try and replace the electric clutch pack? Then the genuine versus non-genuine argument is to be had after that.

Now through this you may ask yourself the question – why wouldn’t you just call the local parts shop and ask them? In answer to that – I did, and the answers I got did not seem to line up. Everything from ‘there’s two options, but it doesn’t say what the differences are’ to ‘sorry mate, you’ll have to go genuine’. In all honesty, I don’t like paying over $3000 to a dealership who will probably not install it correctly.

Research

Very shortly into beginning the research into the compressor itself I found two genuine part numbers listed for ‘ZD30DDTI’.

Partsouq – a genuine parts supplier from the middle east who will ship to Australia at between a quarter and half the price of the Nissan Dealer Network, and can even match the aftermarket with genuine brand products – lists a compressor for my VIN under the part number 92600-VS40B. This was confirmed by a dealership

However, searching for that part number does not provide any meaningful results past genuine parts suppliers.

Another part number that is very popular is 92600-VB800 and was featured on the ZD30 of the past. This can be found far and wide – from eBay markets to CoolDrive catalogues. This presented a question, ‘did Nissan change the part numbers to drive up demand and prices in some marketing stunt, or did something actually change that would prevent the interoperability between the two numbers?’

Attached is a JPG titled "Understanding Part Numbers" which describes Nissans Part Numbers. Understanding Part Numbers.jpg

So, save a long story, that PDF was enough for me to comprehend that there was something that was different and in the interest of longevity and reliability I needed to know that difference.

Going deep into the rabbit hole – I decided to find out who actually produces the compressors in the hope that I can reverse search their part numbers. Very quickly I found that Valeo (who own Zexel) hold the production contract for Nissan.

For reference, the compressors in the ZD30DDTI are Zexel/Valeo DKS-17CH type compressors. As per the image, you can see that there are 78 results and every last one has a different offering of clutches.

Valeo Compressors Catalog DKS17CH.jpg

Valeo don’t make their websites the most navigation friendly. So, I needed to find more to feed my curiosity. Through a translated Slovakian parts website, I found a compressor listed for both the VB800 and VS40B part numbers. Why does this matter? Because it listed the Zexel/Valeo equivalent part numbers so I had something to start searching for.

LUCAS AC Slovakia.jpg

Whilst searching for the various part numbers I came across a European eBay like site that listed some photos of a used compressor from a GR Patrol (Euro Model GU). Just by chance it was my Nissan Part Number, with a Valeo sticker and part number also attached. The Valeo Part Number was
    Z0004764A

AC Compressor.jpg

To Recap. I discovered two genuine part numbers 92600-VB800 and 92600-VS40B. The VS40B number is attached to the Valeo Part Number Z0004764A.

Now we have part numbers, but we don’t have that fundamental answer – what is the difference? Having the Valeo Part Number is handy moving forward, because it is no longer a Nissan specific search.

Success

Searching for combinations of part numbers lead to varying results. “Zexel Z0004764A”, “Valeo Z0004764A”, etcetera lead to all forms of European, Asian and Middle Eastern Sites before I finally stumbled across the proverbial holy grail of this story.

“92600-VS40B Z0004764A” returned a result from PTS Indonesia who listed a PDF of a JayAir Catalogue. Scrolling through (or in this case just looking at the screenshot) you’ll see two options.

cooldrive-2014-air-conditioning-catalogue.jpg

The common -VB800 and the illusive -VS40B. The best part? JayAir list the exact differences between the two.

92600-VB800 (designed for ZD30DDTI between ‘00 and ’02) is listed as having a 135mm clutch pulley diameter. As well as a ‘6PV’ type pulley.

92600-VS40B (designed for ZD30DDTI past ‘08) is listed as having a 140mm clutch pulley diameter. As well as a ‘7PV’ type pulley.

Interesting to note, the Valeo Website does not list any form of ‘PV’ clutch pulley types, only ‘PK’. My initial assumption that the PV means ribbed belt and PK may mean a V belt or other arrangement has been disproven.

The number, seems to represent the belt that its designed for, however I cannot confirm if the number directly correlates to number of ribs. Maybe someone with a ’00-’02 ZD30 patrol can confirm that they only have 6 Ribs.

Conclusion

To conclude, to coincide with all of the other ‘upgrades’ that the ZD30 was given in its common rail form – they added an extra 5mm and one number (possibly an extra rib) to the A/C Compressor.

Given how sensitive the belt tensioners are, some of you who have chewed through tensioners like they’re going out of fashion may have very well scored yourself an A/C pulley lacking (for CRD) or adding (for DI) the 5mm that could, potentially be making the tensioner hold itself out of spec more then it wants.

Further, the different sizing in the wrong application may even be part of why you are destroying bearings, clutches and even ceasing inside the shaft. I have not experienced this, however reading some of the horror stories on this forum about ZD30’s and their compressors, maybe you have the contributing factor.

TLDR

Being disappointed with the complete lack of knowledge on behalf of the Aftermarket parts network and the overpriced incompetence of Nissan dealerships, I decided to do my own research on what compressor I need for my ’08 GU.

There are two part numbers for the A/C Compressors in the ZD30DDTI.

92600-VB800
    for the DI models (part listing says ’00-’02), this type features a 135mm 6PV type front clutch pulley.

92600-VS40B for CRD Models (part listing says ’08-On), this type features a 140mm 7PV type front clutch pulley. The Valeo/Zexel Part number is Z0004764A for those who want a fighting chance at ordering the right aftermarket part for their common rails.

Sorry DI owners, I don’t have much information on your specific needs, aside from what is said above. Mind you, searching that Nissan VB800 part number will provide you with more then enough to get you going.

The different diameter pulleys between the two models, and an incorrect selection and fitment may be what is causing you to chew through bearings, shafts, belts and tensioners due to how sensitive the front of a ZD30 can be to its own existence.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wh33ps For This Useful Post:

Bidja (20th May 2022), mudski (1st July 2020), OuchOne (20th May 2022), PeeBee (27th June 2020), pollenface (1st July 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    excellent write up . thankyou . have had no problems concerning aircon myself but very handy info to know . i admire your researching skills . maybe this thread should be made a sticky .

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nipagu7 For This Useful Post:

wh33ps (1st July 2020)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate, it was a lot of work, but definitely worth sharing considering some problems people have

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is very valuable information, thanks for sharing
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pollenface For This Useful Post:

wh33ps (7th July 2020)