Thread: Rear leaf spring reversal on an MQ

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rear leaf spring reversal on an MQ

Good morning wonderful Patrol People!

I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to mechanical knowledge, so I was hoping to employ the minds of some people here that are wise in the world of automotive modification on the following.

I need some opinions on the following idea I'm having for the Dreadnought. I want to move my rear diff further towards the back of the vehicle for a bit more stability since the shorties have.... well.... none. I have noticed that the rear diff doesn't actually mount in the centre of the leaves, but more to the front of them. So I've been thinking of rotating the leaves front to back so that the diff locating pin is further back from the centre, which means then the diff will mount further back aswell. Could this cause any problems? Is there a reason for the diff to be located further up the leaf rather than in the centre? What is the meaning of life? Etc?

Any advice would be most helpful. Thanks again, Lordly Patrol Drivers!
    Godspeed!
    1980 MQ Patrol
    5 inch total lift
    355 Stroker V8
    37 inch Goodyear MTR's

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is because as your springs compress, the hanger moves back, centreing the diff more in the middle of the spring mounts. Keeping it under your wheel guards. For stability, get rid rid of the shacle extensions and actually mount the spring mounts on a actual lifting block welded to your chasis.

In my opion this is the best way of getting more body clearence, and then use larger wheels to get diff clearance.

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you accelerate the diff tries to move forwards under the vehicle, by mounting the diff towards the front of the spring the torque transfers through a shorter and stiffer part of the spring. If you were to reverse the springs you risk getting axle wrap, so you would need to engineer and mount an anti wrap bar (a bit like a trailing arm) to stop this happening.
    As Tim said in the standard configuration the shackle allows the diff to move backwards as the spring compresses. Another problem with doing a reversal would be the diff trying to move forward when you hit a bump, so the wheels will push forward into the bump causing a harsher ride.

Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by YNOT; 4th July 2011 at 05:39 AM.