OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: 2016 Y62 Steering suddenly became "notchy".

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2016 Y62 Steering suddenly became "notchy".

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to this, so bare with me.
    Believe it or not, I have been a Toyota man all my life, but couldn't believe what you get for your money with these things - very impressive!
    I'm just hoping the longevity is as good as Toyotas, because we aim to keep our cars for a minimum 10years. (we just stepped out of our Landcruiser 80 series which we had for 15 years completely trouble-free)
    Time will tell....

Anyway, I bought a second-hand Y62, 2016 Ti at the start of this year, so have only owned it 6 months, 60,000kms, immaculate condition, pretty sure its never been on the dirt or towed anything - until I got it.
    I have been thoroughly impressed with everything the car has done since we have owned it, but I just have a small issue with the steering.

It has been absolutely fine until I got in it about 2 weeks ago, and I noticed while travelling slow on my driveway that the steering feels "notchy".
    When I say notchy, I guess it really feels as though there is a tight spot in the uni joints down to the steering box. I have tried different angles on the steering column to confirm or deny this theory, but is the same in all positions.
    Next step is to get the front wheels off the ground and turn from lock to lock to see if anything is a bit suss.
    The issue happened instantly - i.e. it was fine when we drove it last, then next time, steering feels odd.

Before I go looking into this more thoroughly, I was just wondering if anyone on here has had this issue with their Y62?
    It's not me imagining things, because it is relatively subtle, - the missus also noticed it straight away when she drove it.
    Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I do absolutely ALL my own servicing and repairs on my vehicles, I have no intent on this car ever being driven into a Nissan or other workshop.
    Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,495 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi mate, does it still have any warranty? to be honest i would be asking the Dealer to take it for a drive with you in it and seek some feedback from them. I know this is not what you want to hear though.... If it was a GU with a solid front diff then it is pretty easy to work through. Being an IFS there could be a few things going on here. It may be something that the Dealer has seen a few times, even ask over the phone.

I am not a Y62 Guy though and never played with one. I would like to but i already have 2 Keepers.... LOL. dont need a 3rd.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 994 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate.
    In the words of a Dhuck "QUACK".