Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Zd30 common rail overheating

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MAF sensor cleaned and block and cooling system flushed.. still overheating 😔

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may sound odd - but I would check that the AirCon fan and the main fan are spinning the correct way. I have seen mechanics replace the aircon fan and get the wires crossed over so the fan blew the wrong way. Don't know if the main fan will even bolt on the wrong way around - but it's amazing what some people can accomplish when they try hard!

With the engine warmed up so the fan hub is engaged and the aircon off, get someone to rev the engine while you stand in front of the car with a thin strip of paper. Hold it in front of the grill and the paper should be sucked in towards the radiator. Let the engine idle, turn on the aircon and hold the paper close to the front of the aircon fan and ensure the paper is sucked towards the fan.

It's an easy check and will cost you nothing.
    Last edited by BillsGU; 28th June 2020 at 12:29 PM.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks, will check soon
    in the meantime, check engine light came on today, I got a p0401 code, egr valve fault.. what are the chances this is the cause of my overheating? should I do a delete and get a blocking plate?

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ReggieRay View Post
    thanks, will check soon
    in the meantime, check engine light came on today, I got a p0401 code, egr valve fault.. what are the chances this is the cause of my overheating? should I do a delete and get a blocking plate?
    Just thinking about this. Firstly yes block the EGR. Second, your intake maybe be choked by carbon. This this. If it is, you would see higher temps I would think as the engine will be choking for air and therefor overfueling, which does equate to extra heat.
    18519899_1107455346025239_9033980638333744288_n.jpg

But its a big job to remove everything to find out. Not sure if you can get an inspection camera into the manifold or not to look. You've done everything else, pretty much. you have nothing to lose, and your engine will love you for it too.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it's a couple months old . . . but Been reading through this thread, and I'm having similar issues as ReggieRay.

I Blocked my EGR about a month ago, had heard and read about the possibility of higher Engine Temps after blocking the EGR . . .

While driving the 780klm out to my fathers place 2 weeks ago, a trip I had only done twice before in My New to Me 2013 Patrol 3Lt CRD Cab Chassis . . . got a High Temp warning between Mollyan and Coonabarabran, the temp hit 120c . . . pulled over the temp dropped back down to 92c . . . stayed around 90klm/h for the rest of the trip which'd kept the runing temp around 95 - 100c degrees the rest of the trip out and back to Sydney.

On return to Sydney, I have dropped the coolant in the system, ran water for 4 days and dropped it and replaced with green coolant solution and still got high temps.

Replaced the Viscosity Oil in the Fan Clutch last week . . . . still getting 90+ temps.

Swapped the Thermostat over today . . . and still getting 90+ temps around town.

Thinking the blocking of the EGR is my issue . . . not happy if it is, as the extra power is very much noticeable with the EGR Blocked, have confidence over taking trucks out west now where I didn't before . . . didn't have the up and go power with the EGR system working.

So ReggieRay . . . your High Engine Temps . . . may have been due to a Blanked EGR system . . .
    Grant

Penrith Region
    Sydney NSW.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blocking the EGR raising motor temps. That's a new one to me.
    Physically and theoretically, it should not happen. It doesn't make sense.
    In actual fact it should be the other way around as the already HOT exhaust gas isn't shoved back into the system again. When I had my crd getting rid of the woeful egr setup helped the motor and egt temps ...

Zd30 crd overheating is rare to my knowledge.

If the motor is hitting those temps , there is a far bigger issue than the EGR I think . Have you checked the radiator,internally and externally ?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

mudski (15th April 2021)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Blocking the EGR raising motor temps. That's a new one to me.
    Physically and theoretically, it should not happen. It doesn't make sense.
    In actual fact it should be the other way around as the already HOT exhaust gas isn't shoved back into the system again. When I had my crd getting rid of the woeful egr setup helped the motor and egt temps ...

Zd30 crd overheating is rare to my knowledge.

If the motor is hitting those temps , there is a far bigger issue than the EGR I think . Have you checked the radiator,internally and externally ?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Hodge,

Yep I know what your talking about . . . in my head when I first looked at the EGR System concept 10 years ago, I thought Recirculating Exhaust Gas back into the Combustion Chamber would increase Combustion temperatures . . . seems logical to me given both My Musso Sports, D22 Navara and now my ZD30crd Patrol all have had EGR Cooling Chambers.

But when you read all the junk on the internet about the use of EGR Systems in Diesel Engines, the one thing that comes up over and over again, is that "The use of EGR is to suppress the combustion temperature and thus the formation of NOx [148] gases, especially Nitrogen dioxide (NO2) gas."

NOx Gases are produced as result of High Combustion Temperatures, and EGR Systems generally reduce OxyGen Levels in the Combustion Chamber thus reduce NOx Gases by reducing Combustion Temperatures.

Blank the EGR System, you allow more OxyGen in the Combustion Process, so High Combustion Temperatures, thus Higher Engine Temperatures.

I had made the same 740-780klm trip out to my Fathers 3 times this year in My New to Me 3Lt Patrol, first 2 trips out and back no Engine Temp issues, blank the EGR System and I start getting higher engine Temperatures.

As I stated above, I've replaced the Viscosity Oil in the Fan Clutch, Swapped the Thermostat over . . . and still getting 90+ temps around town.

After reading a 2013 Post about "Overheating 2010 GU Patrol" by Goat, I'm getting My Radiator serviced on Thursday.

Goat had 70.000klm on his 2010 Patrol (I'v got 170K's) when he's engine started overheating, the result ended up being a badly blocked radiator, but for ReggieRay this is not the case, as ReggieRay he has a New Radiator and Thermostat . . . so unknown to ReggieRay . . . could a Blanked EGR System be his issue?

121202796_655458868504654_1169656546299228483_n.jpg
    "Goat's" Radiator Blockage on inspection

If my Radiator comes out all good on it's service . . . and I still get High Engine Temp's . . . I'll look at Removing the EGR Blanking Plate to see if that solves my higher engine Temperature issue.
    Last edited by Grant209; 11th October 2020 at 10:09 AM.
    Grant

Penrith Region
    Sydney NSW.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    welcome mate

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ReggieRay View Post
    hi, I'm Reggie, I got a zd30 common rail 2007 overheating...
    Hey mate, any news? How'd you go?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My old CRD overheating issues, were stuffed injectors. Even the slightest hill itd start the factory gauge heading north real fast

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast