Thread: Towing with td42T

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing with td42T

Hey Fellas
    Just wanting some feedback on engines temps of people that are towing out the with there 42s with a turbo kit on ??
    Just finishing my turbo engine has had everything done thats needs to be done,,,have an automotive shop here in Tauranga
    Will have a egt and will be fittted and will probably run fairly modest boost ,,
    Any feedback and appreciated ,,,,eg bigger radiators,,,fans etc ,,,and any problems with high running temps? ,,,, at the mo does get up there even with the n/t engine.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard mate
    lots of info on here enjoy your stay

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers roofy
    Just a thought too anyone got a piston and / or rod out of a early silver top engine??

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're going to the trouble and expense of modifyng and turboing your engine protect it and invest a bit more in a good radiator. Either a good 3 core copper/brass or a quality alloy radiator. Obviously the rest of the cooling system needs to be up to scratch as well.
    Stick with the original engine driven fan, simple, reliable and they flow a huge amount of air. Fit the full original fan shroud including the removable piece down the bottom. Make sure the shroud is sealed to the radiator.

Try to keep the area if front of the radiator as clear as possible. Smaller HID spotlights will put out just as much if not more light than a big pair of halogens, and the smaller lights don't restrict airflow to the radiator anywhere near as much as big lights.
    If you have a big Nissan badge on the grill remove it, as it reduces air flow.
    Winch control boxes are often mounted in front of the grill and also reduce air flow.

Engine tune is important, while it's good you plan to keep boost down fueling is just as important. Eg, if you're running 7 pounds boost but EGT's are peaking over 550 degrees, you can bring the EGT's down under 500 by upping the boost to say 9 or 10 pounds while still maintaining reliabillity and not over stressing the cooling system.

Tony

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to YNOT For This Useful Post:

AB (2nd July 2011), Bushrash (2nd July 2011), Dark 1 (1st July 2011), G-ForceCrew (10th July 2011), GUtsy ute (1st July 2011), patch697 (10th July 2011), Plasnart (1st July 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bushrash pretty much what tony says info is spot on, I run the big halogens winch box & haven't removed the big nissan badge yet

I'm running 18psi & tow my car trailer with all sorts of cars on it. I keep an I on my egt gauge & temp gauge when towing. Some times I have to back off to keep the egt's under 550. I'm only running the standard 2 core radiator atm & the water temp rarely goes past the 3/4 level when towing in summer on long steep hills. Once again just keep an eye on the gauges & adjust your driving at the time to keep it all in check.

cheers Jono.
    The conspiracy theorists were right!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushrash View Post
    Cheers roofy
    Just a thought too anyone got a piston and / or rod out of a early silver top engine??
    What do you need to know. we are rebuilding my mates silver top atm.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TuffTD42 For This Useful Post:

Bushrash (2nd July 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TuffTD42 View Post
    What do you need to know. we are rebuilding my mates silver top atm.
    Hey Tuff
    Thanks for the replies fellas!
    Would really like a weight of rod and piston preferably sepately also pin size ,,,would really help with some resarch im doing,,, i have an engine reconditioning shop here in nz ,,,,will post info on difference in engine types on here

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll see what I can dig up. the engine was going to be balanced so if this hasn't been done yet I'll see if I can get the weight of the rod & piston separately. the pin size of a silver top is supposed to be 28mm & black top 30mm but once again I'll check it out. have to weight to Monday when the w/shop is open I went down today but my mate was else where.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome tuff will be nice to put some facts together that i can post on here to help others as well,,building a turboed blacktop for my 92 gq swb hunting truck ,,,,,being fussy engine reconditioner id just like to get alll the facts i can together and will eventually put a post up with all measuremnts ,weights and even pre combustion chamber differences,,,aneroid fitting to the pump etc,,,i have a friend who has spent years developing and reseaching pre comb chambers with some interesting info ,,,,my biggest concern is pistons ,,,,mine will be teflon coated on the sides and ceramic on the top ,,,,if there are benefits from the early pistons id like to see if the ones i can buy now are copies of the early or late ,,,,im thinking the late
    Last edited by Bushrash; 2nd July 2011 at 07:10 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got those figures for you Bushrash.

Conrod 1246.5 grams

Piston bare 799.4 grams

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TuffTD42 For This Useful Post:

Bushrash (10th July 2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast