Thread: 2" Lift advice Please

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2" Lift advice Please

Hey Everyone

Been a while, the troll has been off the road for quite a while now. Split the td in half so currently going ls3.
    Anywayyy while im doing a ground up rebuild I am looking at considerations for my suspension setup:
    This is going to be a touring/camping setup so only a 2" lift is required and wanted. Looking for good comfort and useabilty
    So far im looking at dobinson or tough dog. But I am open to any suggestions with price not being an issue.
    Steel bar and winch up front and steel bar in draws out back

Thanks Peeps

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I took the 2" lift out because it was too stiff and the rear passengers complained about the ride. Getting the right springs and shocks to suit your purposes might take a bit of time and research.

I also found the steering a bit skittish, so dealing with the caster angle is a big priority.

I got use to the offset steering so didn't bother to fit an adjustable panhard rod.
    Last edited by mudnut; 30th May 2020 at 06:49 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2' lift I currently have is actually to soft - Mainly due to worn out. I already have all my angles sorted and it drives dead spot on.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Johnno I started with an OME suspension kit in 1997 when it was brand spanking new, which was 2" lift, for run around the suburbs stuff, it was tagged a 'medium to GVM' kit which today I now understand means little. I did upgrade the rear coils for the Kimberley trip to 200kg constant rate coils and stayed nominally at 2" lift. Over time the use has changed and now with the Chev conversion, I am running Dobinson 110kg constant rate coils in the front with a nominal 3" lift and Dobinson 400kg constant rate coils in the rear, nominal 3" lift, plus run 3 tier Boss airbags that react thru the chassis rail and not the spring tower. I have spring tower stiffening and now chassis plating as the barge is getting heavy. Mine rides just like I like it, suits my driving style and destinations. I don't tow with it yet, but will and don't expect to have to change anything when I do. Mine sits around the 50 - 60mm above standard I would think. It handles well on the road and is very stable offroad. I found the Dobinson coils for the front perfect for the application, however the rears have struggled with the load at times - hence why the airbags to level things up. I run Koni hydraulic shocks with 2" extra stroke. They are adjustable however are still on setting 2 of 5 after having had them rebuilt recently. I don't know how they will perform over long distance corrugations, however the OME Nitochargers rattled to pieces on the rear after the Kimberley trip and 15000klm, but they were replaced under warranty and stayed on the car for another 10 yrs so I cant complain about them. I know there is a BP51 series with remote reservoir and apparently gives excellent ride, maybe have a look at those for shockers perhaps.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Johno - PM sent.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)