Thread: Which timber

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Nah i reckon that is Oregon for sure mate the grain is way to stringy for Pine, pine is a broader grain. That second pic is classic Oregon rot. When you say "Milled" do you mean Dressed? or rough sawn?
    Dunno, I wouldn't call it dressed, but perhaps that's the correct term - the 'mini corrugated' finish on the two rotten pieces, commonly seen on pine.

I believe there are two sorts of Oregon. Years ago it was a very durable timber which would stand up to weather for many years, but the oregon today is of a similar colour but a totally different timber (?Douglas Fir?). I built some external steps with the stuff & they rotted out within 3 to 4 years.

I also thought that todays treated pine was somewhat health friendlier that the old arsenic based treated pine (blue instead of green).?

I must admit when I saw 'bench', I thought 'work bench'.

For an outdoor 'bench seat' I think your redgum sleeper idea sounds good.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

jay see (29th May 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 3,765 Times in 1,516 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are two types of treated pine, have a look at this site for a quick explanation http://gtpine.com.au/other_information/cca_or_acq
    Having a good supply here we’ve used heaps of both around the families properties. Mostly ACQ for anything that’s for the kids or sat on and CCA for pergolas, retaining walls etc. ACQ is more expensive for sure.
    There is a bitumen based paint to put on any parts the are in ground, can’t be bothered going out in the cold to check the name

Our pergolas have been up about 18 years and no issues at all, same with the retaining wall. We did replace the balcony with structural treated pine as the oregon turned to crap within about seven years.

If you’re going to paint it then do it before you put it in place.

Edit:
    Just saw Cuppa’s post. In Australia about thirty years ago we imported lots of Oregon from the forests damaged by the Mount Saint Helens volcano eruption in Washington. This was found to have issues and rotted quite quickly. Plenty of pergolas were built with it as it was cheap for a reason.
    Last edited by jack; 29th May 2020 at 06:38 PM.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jack For This Useful Post:

jay see (29th May 2020), MudRunnerTD (30th May 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jay see View Post
    .....snip. What do I need here. @rusty_nail
    Hi mate, i was actually considering coming out your way and grabbing those bits off you sunday if your around and maybe swinging past @MudRunnerTD s house to deliver them. happy to take a look when im around if your going to be home?
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

jay see (29th May 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,717 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    Hi mate, i was actually considering coming out your way and grabbing those bits off you sunday if your around and maybe swinging past @MudRunnerTD s house to deliver them. happy to take a look when im around if your going to be home?
    Shouldn't be a problem, you do know that he's about 3/4 to an hour away from me. With soccer starting soon I'm sure I'll be going that way for a game, I could drop it off then. Just another option.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    i know mate but he has my trailer and i need it back =P
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

jay see (30th May 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jack View Post
    In Australia about thirty years ago we imported lots of Oregon from the forests damaged by the Mount Saint Helens volcano eruption in Washington. This was found to have issues and rotted quite quickly. .
    That would tie in with when I built the steps which subsequently rotted out quickly

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the rotten timber is standard pine commonly used for house framing there are many spiecies of pine and yes some do look alot like oregon, the milled finish is known as laser cut. if you read the stamps on it when it was new it would have been likely stamped laserframe mgp10.

for the rebuild either treated pine of which there are many types but if its going to be in the weather it needs to be at least a h3 rating for above ground or h4 rating if in contact with the ground also note if you really want it to last you need to retreat any cuts you make as most treated pine avaliable in vic these days is LOSP type treatment which doesnt penetrate right to the centre of the board. the good news is you can buy losp treatment in tins just like paint. any treated pine should have a small tage on the end of the board telling you what the tereatment type is, cca tends to have a green tinge to the timber while losp is visually difficult to notice a difference but typically has a oily feel and turps/kero type smell
    gone to the dark side 2017 vdj 79 dc

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to billyj For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (28th June 2020), jay see (30th May 2020), PeeBee (30th May 2020), rusty_nail (30th May 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the info guys.

One option is to turn the area into a veggie patch with a sitting area in the middle. If I do that I'll probably brick it.

12/97 GEE YOU

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I made a start here.

Knocked it all down and going to start again. Don't think I will do the veggie patch here, doesn't get any sun at all.

Week starting July 6 I'm on a 3 day week, so I might as well do something constructive.

12/97 GEE YOU

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jay see For This Useful Post:

MB (28th June 2020), MudRunnerTD (28th June 2020), rusty_nail (28th June 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just gonna hijack this thread. I know a bunch of you guys on here know your timber.
    Can anyone identify what kind of timber this is?
    Old bi-fold doors I'm guessing 70+ years old.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast