Thread: Roof Cage and Spare Wheel Carrier

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Couple thoughts on the subject...

Yep the spares sure weigh a few kilo's but the door was designed to carry them. One of my GQ's was 20 years old and a lot of K's when it was sold and the rear door hinges were still as good as new.

When I carry a second spare I find it just as easy (or should it be just as hard) to get it on the roof as the door mount. You still have to pick the sucker up.

On the occasion I carry 2... To get the second one on my roof rack I roll it onto the tow bar tongue from the LHS, adjust my grip etc and roll it up the 1st spare so it sits on top of that, then climb on the rear step with the LHS barn door open and get a knee under it and flip it on the roof rack.

Would quite like a dual wheel rear bar but jeez they are expensive and heavy and having to swing the wheel carriers everytime you want to open the barn doors is a bit of a PIA albeit you can take the LHS one off a fair bit of teh time...

Sigh, life is just one compromise after another...
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Bigrig (6th July 2011)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you might have to look at one of those wheelchair rooftop lifters for that job....
    Scotty B | Take it Off Road or Take it Back
    3.0L GUIV 2005 - TIG Welded Intercooler, NADS, Redarc Dual Battery, Additional rear power socket, 2" Lift (Ironman constant load foam cell), Electronic Trailer Brake Controller, Steel Bullbar, 12,000lb Winch, UHF

Whitewater Creek, Kingston, Tasmania (until the wife tell me to come home)
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you could always go the Land Rover method but I don't know how much the 35 would block you forward vision
    If at first you do not succeed destroy all evidence of ever trying

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check the load rating of the roof, check the weight of the rack, and the tyre, and do your sums.

Then put the spare down low in the cargo space in your wagon, and put light bulky stuff up on the rack

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    check the load rating of the roof, check the weight of the rack, and the tyre, and do your sums.

Then put the spare down low in the cargo space in your wagon, and put light bulky stuff up on the rack
    Not sure what your getting at... 200 Kg dynamic (100 for the Q's I think) or 400 Kg static means you can have a a spare "spare" up there, climb up yourself and then some.

It doesn't matter whether its 200Kg of feathers or 200Kg of steel. The manuf "max roof load" rating includes calcs for vehicle dynamic stability not just the actual weight the roof will support.

In my case the 2nd spare won't fit in the cargo space anyway so on the roof she goes and even with the other gear I throw up there the load is under 200Kg
    Last edited by the evil twin; 7th July 2011 at 02:02 AM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Clunk (7th July 2011)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12