OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Which turbo boost gauge to use - GU 3.0TD ??

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which turbo boost gauge to use - GU 3.0TD ??

Hi All,
    My GU 3.0TD has begun over boosting more regulary than normal and going into the factory designed feature of "no acceleration" until I release the right foot and then re-apply. I am looking to fit a Boost Gauge and get this thing under control but what gauge is the best to use.
    After some reasearch I believe there are some gauges that are mechanical (flexi pipe boost line to the rear of the unit in the cabin) and some are electronic (no flexi line into the cabin only wires from a sender unit under bonnet).
    What is your opinion on the most accurate and prefered unit to use, mechanical or electronic?
    [SIZE="4"]Robbo[/SIZE]
    2000 Nissan GUII 3.0 TD

[COLOR="red"][B]Asphalt - A waste of tax payers money [/B][/COLOR]

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mech or Elec are pretty much equally accurate when installed correctly. Digital over Analog gauges give an "illusion" of greater accuracy due to the resolution of the the readout is all.

Buy a good brand and if it is mech just check that the end connections don't leak and that the tube isn't squished/kinked when you install. The tubing is pretty tough on the better names so you have to balls it up pretty badly to stuff it up.

Whichever you get... Buy one that is "all boost" (EG 0 to 30 PSI) many gauges will have vacuum and boost (EG -15 to 30 PSI with an offset 0 PSI).
    Last edited by the evil twin; 29th June 2011 at 11:21 AM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VDO mechanical guages for me.
    Limp mode is not always caused by overboosting, have you checked to see if there are any fault codes?

Tony

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X2 on the VDO gauges, I have never had a problem with them
    Qualified Auto-Electrician
    Apprentice Sparky

Dont own a Patrol or any 4WD at the moment, hopefully will change into the future

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also using VDO mechanical gauge, which it works fine. However, when you release the accelrator (or when the boost decrease), it make a noise (tick, tick.....) which sometime can be annoying. If I start again, I would get the combine EGT and boost gauge to save some valuable dash space. They also have alarm and peak value features. Like this or the autron one.

http://www.mcnallyelectronics.com/tdi_boost_psi.htm
    2006 GU ZD30 with its pin postively secured......

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YNOT View Post
    VDO mechanical guages for me.
    Limp mode is not always caused by overboosting, have you checked to see if there are any fault codes?

Tony
    Quote Originally Posted by big_fletch View Post
    X2 on the VDO gauges, I have never had a problem with them
    Quote Originally Posted by GUIV View Post
    I am also using VDO mechanical gauge, which it works fine. However, when you release the accelrator (or when the boost decrease), it make a noise (tick, tick.....) which sometime can be annoying. If I start again, I would get the combine EGT and boost gauge to save some valuable dash space. They also have alarm and peak value features. Like this or the autron one.

http://www.mcnallyelectronics.com/tdi_boost_psi.htm
    I also use vdo they are made by siemens who have an extremely good reputation for high quality products
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gday mate i had the same thing happen to me, buy the time i got around to fixing it it was to late $11000 later problem fixed,piston 3 and 4 melted. About 2000 kms after the rebuild the over boost started again, from what ive read its the deisel flow and air flow that causes the over boost so i took it to a fuel injection shop and they fixed the problem and than i got a boost gauge and have nothing to worry about

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you own a turbo diesel I seriously suggest getting both boost AND pyro (exhaust gas temperature) guages. The boost guage only tells you what the turbo is doing, the pyro guage tells you what's happening inside the engine.

Tony

Gert B Frobe
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    I also use vdo they are made by siemens who have an extremely good reputation for high quality products
    I work with a lot of Siemens electrical gear and i'm of the opinion "do you like Siemens?, or can you afford something much better?" just my two cents thats all.........