Thread: Wheel bearings

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wheel bearings

Getting quotes for my wheel bearings .. replacing rather than re-packing. Was told the rears do not get re-packed as they are "wet" type bearings and would more than likely not need replacing as they are bullet proof. The fronts I want done to make sure I can eliminate wobble at 80-90 km/hr .. estimated $300 to do it including kit .. opinions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,401 Times in 2,994 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon $300 is probably the going rate for the fronts. Make sure they use quality bearings though. Last time ours needed doing I supplied the bearings (was going to replace them myself but hurt my back). Got the car back with the new bearings still sealed. They reckoned that the old ones were still good & judt needed adjustment.

Rear bearings - not sure what other models have but ours are not 'wet type' (whatever that means). They are a far larger bearing than in the fronts, almost truck size. but I think they require a press to replace them. At a bit over 200K ours needed doing. One side was running a bit warm, with it's grease having dried out & the other side was a bit wet with the seal from the diff showing signs of minor leakage. I hadn't noticed anything, but because of where we were going I had thought it wise to check them. Leaf sprung rear end. Hopefully someone else can tell you definitively what you have in your Patrol if you post what model it is. I'm just a tad concerned that you may have been told wrong about your rear bearings. Actually I think it more likely than being 'wet' bearings, is that they are bearings it just makes sense to replace with new rather than re-pack when things are apart because of the amount of work involved. They do usually last longer than mine did, but weight & lots of rough terrain gives'em a hard life.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 6,418 Posts
    Mentioned
    459 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    $300 sounds cheap. Too cheap. What brand bearings are they using?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I didnt think it was worth repacking if they've got them out .. would just replace ... I understand the "wet" bearings .. we had them in all our tractors ... but didnt think they were present in the automotive side of things ... whats a good brand these days? Timken .. SKF .. its a bit difficult if the mechanic isnt correct .. not too many around where i am .. that are reliable anyway .. unless I go to Nissan dealership :-(
    BTW i have a 2013 Y61 GU8/9 .. 3.0CRD wagon.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They didnt say what bearings they would use .. never thought to even ask

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generic kits could be around or up to $180...may be cheaper from different suppliers...might as well do the seals while they are out...rear are usually not a problem but the seals can be damaged easily. They are pretty simple and quick to do, especially if you have a press and cleaning equipment.
    Quad-Drive 4WD Club...Western Australia

We're all here coz we ain't all there...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,342 Times in 3,164 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had to replace the rear axle seals in the GQ, back in 2012. Since the oil had melted the grease in the bearings, the advice I got from a mechanic was to re-pack the bearings with green boat trailer grease. Been all good, so far. Touch wood.

Just had a quick read of the GU manual and they seem to be almost the same set up. Don't know if the utes are different, though.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they are packed with grease then they defo are not the wet type ... so im thinking the workshop i asked doesnt know what he is on about ... bugger ...

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just recently bought a wheel bearing swivel hub kit from online autos . came with wheel bearings , swivel ( king pin ) bearings and inner axle needle roller bearings ( all japanese ) . and all seals and gaskets as well as the wheel bearing lock nut tool for approximately $180 . everything you need to do a full axle out , knuckles off service of the front axle housing unit . you only need to replace the parts that worn or damaged and then restock the kit after the job is done ready for next time . only other things that is needed is oil , grease and king pin bearing shims if the currant ones are too tight or too loose ( this can be a big contributer to the dreaded death wobbles ). When ordering from online autos check carefully thru all the different kit available as the contents and prices vary significantly .

Last edited by nipagu7; 2nd May 2020 at 12:26 PM.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the reasons I'm doing this so early (72000 km's) is that the car was owned by W.A. Police Forensics. It was loaded up all the time and as a result the springs had sagged very badly (hence replacing them) .. Yes it was also a 2 inch lift as a result. Castor was terrible so had a 2 degree kit installed. It's probably 99% fixed the wobbles but still tracks off a little at 110km/h. The tyres have been checked and balanced by numerous companies and it still wobbles between 85/90. The tyres are worn on the outer edges slightly but nothing out of the ordinary according to the tyre companies/suspension mobs .. so my reasoning is to replace the bearings (front at least) instead of repacking ... so should I look at a swivel hub kit instead?? My biggest concern is a reputable mechanic in or around Buno in W.A.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to timbo2410 For This Useful Post:

MB TD42 (2nd May 2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast