Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Patrol GU bed extension

Hi guys!

Just in the process of buying a 2007 GU patrol wagon and setting it up for touring.

The idea is to remove 2nd row seats and use that area for storage instead. As we are planning to sleep inside the vehicle on an inflatable mattress I want to make a bed extension from the rear drawer system that continues all the way to the back of the front row seats.

I’d like to do that with a board of plywood (covered in marine carpet) and extendable legs. It would be a DIY version of what Drifta sells for 350$. The car has Titan drawers, so I’d like to try building it myself.

As I don’t have the car yet I am just wondering if I’ll have enough room in the area between from seats and the drawers to store two small Esky and a secondary battery. Just worried I won’t have much height to work with between the extension board and the car floor.

I’ll attach some photos of what drifta makes in case what I wrote is unclear.

Just looking for some advice from Patrol owners that might know how much room I’ll be working with, or that have done this before!

Many thanks!Bed-Base-Extension-04.jpgBed-Base-Extension-03.jpgBed-Base-Extension-02.jpgBed-Base-Extension-01.jpg

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i recon a battery is ok but the eky's might be a PITA . a fridge between the front seats might be better if the car is a auto . air mattresses are cold in winter a sponge matteress about 75mm plus thick would be warmer and can be easily rolled up .

Thanks
    Thanked 11,318 Times in 4,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a thought Zaleo mate, and only if you haven’t already sealed the deal on the wagon.
    If it’s just the two of you longer term touring, an older diesel ute with say a canvas canopy might suffice your needs better out there.
    Sleeping inside steel wagons certainly in our southern mountain winters is horrible at best if not dangerous and it also gets below 0-C out in central desert regions over night too mate.
    Take care, stay safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk