3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lifted patrol pulling left whel letting go of wheel

hi
    had a previous post about this but things have changed
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...-caster-bushes

so i brought the car with a lift its a 2008 gu wagon crd 200,000km
    as it is now it has what looks like efs branded could i assumed 2"but i measures my ride height against a stock patrol , (from center of hub to flare) and mine is 3"higher
    5mm (rubber )spacer on rear coils and 15mm (polly superpro) spacers in the front
    adjustable drag link
    tough dog rtc dampener
    tough dog 41mm 9 way adjustable shockes set to #4
    40psi in all tyres
    running 285/65r17 toyo open country AT 2's stock nissan alloy rims
    new front tyres and rear tyyre about 12-18 month with 10,000-15,000km on them
    wheel alignment was done December 2018 camber looks good see old thread for screenshot.
    caster was 0 so i fitted 2 degree bushes and made no difference.
    i thought i have a 2"lift but now i think its higher.. i like the look of it and im not lowering it lol.
    so i know that its probably still not got enough caster and i dont see the point spending $100 on wheel alignment

my issue that i want solved is that the car pulls to the left when i let go of the wheel.
    its mainly a daily driver i dont go off roading much bu would like to start.

when im driving i hold the wheel straight and i drive straign i let go and the wheel steers left and i go left
    i have a 1999 triton and it drives same roads and drives straigh when letting go of the wheel so i dont want to say its the roads.
    the issue is that i have a constant need to pull down with my right arm on the wheel to keep it straight and as soon as i let go it pulls left.

question is im thinking drop boxes are the answer, alot of people here swear by them. and to me i can see a down side to having them.
    pro's are
    * returning arms to more normal angles
    * diff moves forward
    * might fix the pulling left
    * should fix camber closer to the factory specs

cons:
    * illeagal in qld ?
    * money and time
    *possible too much caster and that could cause ??? not sure

can anyone say they fixed a pulling left issue with caster correction?
    can anyone say that drop boxes fix pulling?
    Last edited by Fireblade; 16th April 2020 at 09:03 AM. Reason: incomplete

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,235 Times in 992 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try getting some set back bushes https://fulcrumsuspensions.com.au/se...WB+Wagon%5D%29. They have 2 different size bushes to be able to push the diff forward on the left and pull back on the right. Having even caster or a negative split (1.5deg on left and 2deg on right for example) will allow the car to follow the camber of the road. This is a very common cause in a lot of vehicles. This is only a suggestion as it could also be a swivel bearing issue, where it has worn into the bearing cup and is falling back into the wear spot. Have you tried disconnecting the RTC damper to see what happens? I see a lot of this issue.
    In the words of a Dhuck "QUACK".

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the reply, funny i actually called fulcrum today after seeing the company on 4wd action episode last night.
    they said get the set back bushes to and said caster is not going to cause my pulling left issue, they did also recommend to get 3 degree caster bushes to suit the 3"lift as i only have 2 degree ones at the moment.
    i did remove the rtc dampener once and drop up the road and back and it was back felt really loose from memory

keen to try these set back bushes read the instructions and they say it will change set back by 1 degree looking at the wheel alignment print out my set back is +0.02degree but doesnt say what side lh or rh.

fulcrum said to get a normal dampener and stop using rtc ones as they are crap.
    i do have a swivel hub re build kit but looks like a big job and only part im hesitant on is setting the king pin bearing pre-load correctly

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I’ve fitted the recommended bushes and I’d say there is improvement, obviously it would be unreasonable to expect the live front end to handle 100% like a car as they are known for abit of wander.
    I also removed the rtc dampener as recommended before the bushes and that made no effect.
    Also checked to see if the steering wheel was centred which it is..
    When I had the arms out I noticed the 2 degree caster bushes were torn up abit, they would only be about 5000km in them.. I’ll admit they were check rubber ones but if read that the caster correct bushes wear faster due to the force applied there, I’m thinking of removing them and fitting standard bushes and using drop boxes to get the caster needed. From reading a lot of people say drop boxes improve drive quality and make the car handle bumps much better.

Also I’m thinking the amount of tearing on those bushes might be cause the pull to the left abit. Or would I be wrong? Surely it would be contributing a small amount cause there’d be play in the bush causing the diff to move.
    On another not wheels rotated well so I don’t think it’s a stick caliper or hub bearing issue, panhard bushes looks good also.