Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stedi LED lights

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done two Traxide upgrades over the years. Last one was on the 2004 GU, same as yours (Telstra Pod). Headlight and driving light version. Very happy with the results. Original headlights but with Philips Plus 50 globes. I made up a bracket to fit in the space used by the battery vent (cooker). A squeeze, but enables me to remove the whole assembly and still have it in circuit, if I need to fault find. The Lightforce led drivers also a big improvement over the original IPF's. The Traxide wiring guides are easy for me to follow but I was a telcoms tech before retirement, so your mileage may vary :-) JonesyIMG_3694.JPG
    Last edited by gjones; 14th April 2020 at 09:54 PM.

Ex Telstra - 2004, TD42Ti DX ute -with Roscos pod. 3900kg WCS GVM upgrade, UFI TD05-16G Turbo, Taipan 3inch exhaust and dump, blocked EGR.
    Front E-locker, 2 x Stratos LTSS seats, Inawise TPMS-203 and 9 monitored wheels.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gjones For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (15th April 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    snip... Current globes are 60/55w PHILIPS X-treme Vision Plus +130% Halogens, which might be ok once I have a new loom in & if so I'll get some 100 watters when they need replacing.
    I think you will find the +130 awesome with a decent loom.

I ran 100 watt globes a couple of times over the years and IMHO they aren't worth it.
    The extra current required (almost double) kinda reinvents the original issue of too much voltage drop.
    The better loom helps but you risk melting the earth side of the headlight plugs or the reflectors on some inserts (fairly common issue if you search on the forum).
    Was hard to be absolutely sure but I had a feeling the 100 watters had a much shorter globe life
    Finally, IMHO the +100 to 130 Philips, Osrams etc in the standard 60/55 watts were equal to the 100 watt globes for useable light.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (15th April 2020), Yeti's Beast (19th April 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also FWIW...

Over about 8 years and 3 Patrols I reckon i tried just about every possible option for lights, 100 watt headlights, hid headlights, led bars, led driving lights, hid driving lights etc.

By far the best and most comfortable option I settled on for remote touring was...

Upgraded Headlight Loom

+100 globes 60/55 (not much diff between +75 to +130 to the human eye but at least +75 needed)

Roof Light Bar for outback, dirt, sand, gravel etc (pref curved but otherwise with good spread) which I had a 3 way switch (off, hi beam only, on) and would often drive with it "on" when outback. This was great as the down angle fills in the ruts, wombat holes etc so you can see the bottom but biggest advantage is that it is a huge pool of light all around the front rather than a focussed pool at the front which draws the eye away from what is happening out to the side which is where the cattle, camels, roos etc usually are.

Twin HID years ago but def LED these days, Bull bar Driving Lights (hi beam only) for the bitumen.

The roof bar was the ducks guts, you could tonk along the tracks etc on the way back to camp after dark or whatever and it was just like driving in the day almost as far as picking lines or dodging potholes etc.

Each to their own in the end but that is what worked for me and nothing else came close (even the quad mounted IPF's that came on roof rack of my Ute when I got it were not as "nice" to drive with as the LED Bar I replaced them with).
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (15th April 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On a similar point... When it comes to critters and avoiding them at night here is my theory.

The brighter and the more "out front" the light is, the more it causes critters to freeze as if they are in the beam of a hunting lamp.
    The closer you get with the big scary noisy people monster then the light out to the side lessens quite rapidly and they lose the fixation until at that last few moments when the light is minimal, the scare factor maximal and the critter does the Usain Bolt impersonation.

When I was living in the Territory it wasn't uncommon to flick off the Driving Lights for a couple of seconds when you saw critters and when you put them back on cattle esp, would be moving off or turned and looking back at you over their quarters or wallabies would be legging it... didn't seem to work on Water Buff tho, only thing that moved them was .303 :-)
    Last edited by the evil twin; 15th April 2020 at 01:12 PM.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (15th April 2020), MB (16th April 2020), mudnut (15th April 2020), Yeti's Beast (19th April 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I know, Lightforce drivers now work not only with original bulbs from cars or dashboards but with a good manufacturer Vont.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I used to get LED car lights from them. It was one of the worst monetary investments I ever made. When I installed it in my car, that light worked well. But after a few days, it failed and would not turn on. I took it to a handyman and he sort of fixed it, but I had to take it back to the handyman a couple of days later. This went on and on until I bought the backlight . I can already call this one great light. It has a remote, and it can light up in several modes. And when installed, it doesn't interfere with the other wires in the car.
    Last edited by Woof; 12th July 2022 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Removed link, potential Spam

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NataleeEstrada View Post
    Oh, I used to get LED car lights from them. It was one of the worst monetary investments I ever made. When I installed it in my car, that light worked well. But after a few days, it failed and would not turn on.
    A strange first post.

If you are referring to Stedi LED's, my experience is very different to yours. My light bar has now been on the car for over two years & all I can say is that I wish I'd bought one years earlier. It is mounted under the top rail of the bullbar, set back far enough with the Stedi brackets to be legal, & has been through several river crossings where the lightbar has been under water.

I would hope that if yours failed so soon after installation that you would have had it replaced under warranty, unless the failure resulted from the installation.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 7th July 2022 at 04:21 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (8th July 2022), growler2058 (7th July 2022), MB (8th July 2022), rusty_nail (7th July 2022)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123