Thread: Stedi LED lights

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stedi LED lights

Anyone had experience with Stedi products? Good, bad or indifferent?

I'm thinking of bringing our Patrol out of the dark ages. I tried you beaut halogen H4's & they were a waste of time. Have checked the wiring loom for voltage drop & got the same reading at the globe connector as I got at the battery. The headlight reflectors look pretty good - but the lights are awful. We very rarely drive at night but on the odd ocasions that we have (eg. Through the Millstream Chichester NP) a candle would have been almost as good. It was so bad we couldn't read the NP road signs. Several times we had to pull up, take a torch & walk back to check what the sign said! We do have a couple of halogen driving lights, (but on that occasion one of the globes had blown).

Am thinking of trying the Stedi Copper Head LED conversion for the factory headlights, plus a 27.5" single row 3301 light bar. If we need to use the light bar it will be off the bitumen & thus near, mid distance & sideways lighting will be far more important than a ultra long distance light throw.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 12th April 2020 at 08:33 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Cuppa, haven't had first hand experience with them but only heard good things. Personally have been down the HID path with the factory headlamps only to come back to upgraded IPF halogens (loom, lens & globes) which although aren't crazy bright I am very happy with.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (13th April 2020)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cuppa, have a look at the JTX brand of lights - lifetime warranty and ADR approved - well they are on the GQ, unsure if they make a model for the GU. Great customer service.

Like Rossco, I have tried just about every halogen globe combo, plus went HID for a while, then LED globes. The LED globes pushed me towards the LED headlight inserts. I think the light density is greater in mid distance, not super long range but at 100klm/hr its mpre than enough and too much in the bush and tight quarters to be honest.
    Last edited by PeeBee; 12th April 2020 at 09:51 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (13th April 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stedi LED lights

My Patrol had quite good headlights. It was a 2003 series 3model. It did have +50 globes. Genuine Nissan driving lights with 100 watt globes and a small light bar on a separate loom.
    My step son on the other hand had a 99 series1 model GU and his lights were absolutely pathetic and he had upgraded his globes too.
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200412/013089676c30649476a9396f9405a5cf.plist[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Yeti's Beast For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (13th April 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (13th April 2020), DX grunt (15th April 2020), MudRunnerTD (12th April 2020), Rossco (13th April 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Stedi head lights are awesome on low beam and high beam and two Stedi 22" St4K light bars are very good as well i just nip up all the allen key bolts on them and never had any moisture in them what so ever. Good value for money in my books.
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sherro For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (13th April 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A simple 126w 22 inch ebay special led bar has seen me through the last 5 years or so. I gave my lightforce strikers away after switching to the led bar. I'm a convert.
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted

14. The Following User Says Thank You to pollenface For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (13th April 2020)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi cuppa . when you tested the lights for voltage drop was that with the connector connected to the light or just at the connector unplugged from the light , as you will probably only be able to measure voltage drop when there is a load on the wiring . it does sound like you have a voltage drop issue and just changing globes will not really help. patrolapart does upgraded wiring looms . a little pricey , maybe other suppliers do too . i think this would be the way to go .

16. The Following User Says Thank You to nipagu7 For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (13th April 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just changed my motorcycle headlight to a Stedi (looks the same as Sherro's) and they are awesome. Also they are ADR approved. As a bonus they have an angel eye for daytime running - although with the low power consumption of the LED the headlight is no strain even on a motorcycle electrical system.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (13th April 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nipagu7 View Post
    hi cuppa . when you tested the lights for voltage drop was that with the connector connected to the light or just at the connector unplugged from the light , as you will probably only be able to measure voltage drop when there is a load on the wiring . it does sound like you have a voltage drop issue and just changing globes will not really help. patrolapart does upgraded wiring looms . a little pricey , maybe other suppliers do too . i think this would be the way to go .
    Ta. I realised after I posted before that I needed to have the load connected to mesasure the voltage drop. Doh. So I checked it again this morning & found with the motor running & battery voltage at 14.03v I got a voltage drop of 1.39v. Kinda wish it was more! Certainly heavier wiring would reduce that voltage drop, but whether by enough to see a worthwhile improvement is the big question. Anyone have thoughts on that? Patrolapart's loom is $285 which is a lot of dough to spend if it doesn't make a lot of difference. Cheapest pre made wiring harness I've been able to turn up is still $170. (Traxide - but includes wiring for a pair of driving lights).

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast