Thread: Fridge wiring.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,717 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fridge wiring.

I'm now looking at hard wiring the console fridge through a switch.

I'm going to need some help on what wire and fuse I need to use. My aux battery is behind the back seat and a fuse block is just above that.

What I want to do is cut off the cigarette plug from the fridge and extend the wires to a switch and then to the battery.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you unscrew the cigarette plug end, there should be a glass tube fuse in it. It will have the amperage on it.
    Once you cut the plug off you should then be able to connect your switch and extend the wires to the fuse block near your battery with the same rated fuse that was in the cigarette plug.
    (*I'm not an auto electrician)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not very practical to hard wire the fridge. It will be a PITA when you need to pull it out for any reason - and you almost certainly will need to pull it out. Best option is to use an Anderson connector I reckon. You can still go with the switch and fuse.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Use what ever fuse its rate for and no higher, for the wire I would probably use 6mm minimum. That will be more that what the OEM cable is anyway so you should be fine. Or do what Brissieboy has said.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would run a circuit from your fuse board at the back to an Anderson Plug under the console fridge and then use an Anderson plug off your fridge. This will give you a fused circuit and flexibility if you ever have to take it out. If you can also put an inline fuse in your new lead off the fridge then you are double protected and take protection with the fridge if you ever take to another car.

you need to join the lead to the new circuit anyway so you might as well just use an Anderson Plug for that joint.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Anderson connection is a great suggestion. I'd use some of these Anderson powerpole connectors: https://www.jaycar.com.au/45a-anders...r-set/p/PT4406
    They are more compact than the regular Anderson plugs.
    I used some of these on the 12gauge cable for the sub in my car.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cremulator View Post
    The Anderson connection is a great suggestion. I'd use some of these Anderson powerpole connectors: https://www.jaycar.com.au/45a-anders...r-set/p/PT4406
    They are more compact than the regular Anderson plugs.
    I used some of these on the 12gauge cable for the sub in my car.
    Yeah i agree, the smaller style of Anderson will be plenty for this application. the problem with the full size anderson is the cable your using is just a bastard to clamp down in an Anderson plug.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like Darren's got you covered - Andersen plug is the way to go.
    Doesn't sound like you will have much length of cable - but heavier is better than lighter. More fridge problems are voltage loss problems due to too thin cable than anything else.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you gents.

An Anderson plug is probably the way to go. A quick eBay search brought up this.
    I'm pretty sure that's the same as I'm using for my 50l when it's in the back.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/264217037012

12/97 GEE YOU

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    If you can also put an inline fuse in your new lead off the fridge then you are double protected and take protection with the fridge if you ever take to another car.
    When I took off the front cover there was a fuse (I think 10amp) as part of the 12v wiring.

12/97 GEE YOU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast