Thread: General specs and info.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

General specs and info.

Have recently purchased a 1988 firetruck ute with only 35,0000kms. TB42. Loving this truck but having trouble finding much information about it. Seems it is a bit different to standard models. Particularly interested in the PTO. It is rear facing and single speed unlike the ones fitted for winches from what I have read so far. I'm wanting to know what sort of power it can produce. I'd like to run a hydraulic pump off it which can run accessories like generator, compressor etc if possible. Any clues much appreciated thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jace,

here are the specs for the two speed PTO. I have mine running off the gearbox, facing rearwards, driving a 32cc hydraulic pump. The line speed and flowrates are below. I am going to retrofit a 3:1 planetary gearbox to boost the flowrate and line speed. I doubt you are going to get much joy trying to use this unit as a flexible power take off. I know @MB has the same truck, but yet to sort out the PTO drive to the pump itself - does yours have the actual water pump connected and operational - I am sure he would be keen to get some details.
    Regards power, I have calculated the pump is pulling around 7kw at the moment. The gearset is your limiting factor, as is the way it is set up - its just a simple jockey gear off the side of a cog inside the box, so to get increased rpm you need to increase engine rpm. Not much help I think but maybe fills in some gaps and questions around speeds at output shaft for example and the need to run a speed multiplier. If you can get hold of a tacho, you could confirm this data, as I have measured mine.

PTO output speed is 1180rpm at 1000rpm engine speed in forward and 1530rpm at 1000engine rpm.

At idle, 500rpm gives 554rpm and 765rpm.

At 3:1 speed increase, 1700rpm and 2300rpm.

Hydraulic pump is rated at 0.032l/rev

Milemarker winch specs at 13.25l/min @103bar are

Low Speed
    First wrap 5.65fpm, Second wrap 6.43fpm, third wrap 7.41fpm, fourth wrap 8.58fpm

High Speed
    First wrap 31fpm, second wrap 36fpm, third wrap 42fpm, fourth wrap 48fpm

At existing speed of 500rpm, 554rpm flowrate is 554 x 0.032L/rev = 17.73lpm
    At 3:1 speed increase, 1662rpm, 53lpm

Line speed at nominal 1:1 of 554rpm = 17.73/13.25 = 1.33 x 5.65fpm = 7.5fpm =3.6m/min
    Line speed at 3:1 speed increase of 1700rpm = 17.3x3/13.25 = 3.9 x 5.65fpm = 22fpm = 10.45m/min

Speeds at idle of 500rpm

Note there is a very small difference in line speed for the 2 speed gearsets, like 10% only.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (6th April 2020)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks peebee, some good details there. I had read some other posts that gave the speed percentage for forward and reverse but then looking at my pto lever realized I only had one speed. No reverse.
    Nothing like getting dirty and having a physical look at what you've actually got though, so it turns out I have a rear facing pto off the back of the transfer case, not the gearbox mounted pto as installed for running winches.
    Another thread I found told me that the firetruck pump could pump 2000 lpm to a height of over 30 stories. That's a pretty powerful pump so I'm guessing that pto could drive a pretty substantial hydraulic pump.
    I don't have the water pump. My truck has been converted to a flat deck tipper with a 12 volt hydraulic power pack.
    It is a GY60 single cab with a TB42.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Model number FGY60ASFZ
    Trans axle FS5W81A-HH46
    Hoping someone can help me identify what gearbox, transfer case and diff this is running. Also how do I find the manual to download.