Thread: Mudski GU Build Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    It was only because of what I was told Darren, or my interpretation. I took it that the Iskra was quite slow compared to the others. Speed is not really a deciding factor for me now I know there's f.a speed difference. Whats the HP of the Iskra anyway. Only info I can find is that its a 1.6kw motor. From my quick findings this equates to around 2.2HP. Doesn't seem right.
    Hi Mark. It actually has more to do with how the motors are wound. The Iskra is i believe a continuous wound units that is designed for a static machine operation and continuous load and when adapted onto a 12v winch it was found that they simply dont load up like a series wound motor. They take the load and keep going. Lets face it that is when things really get ugly. Loaded and lacking current and the Iskra will just keep pulling.

These first came to light when a bloke had a Pallet of them sitting in a shed and figured they were the same spline count as a warn and offered them for peanuts to guys in the comp scene as spares. they were $150 and being handed out left right and centre just for the spares box. Seriously!! Excess Stock on Clearance. Give it a gfo! I was short of cash or i would have grabbed a couple. Well it turns out they are a Beast and plenty of guys running them as their motor of choice now in comps winch challenge trucks. I have not read of a single Dead Iskra motor.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Lionel84 (22nd June 2020), mudski (6th April 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Damn that is a Great pic mate. You should have entered that in the Happy Place Photo thread. Great Track. Great Weekend.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Rossco (6th April 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Extra little mod for you Mark. Sorry just spent 30 minutes looking for a pic but can't find one.

Drill 2 x 6mm holes through the case below the lip and through the retaining plate when in position. And the 2 x M6 bolts through. You need a 1mm spaces (maybe 2mm. A couple of washers) to space out the retainer so it slots into the top housing groove.

I have had this retainer Fail. Whole winch us out of action when it does. Easy mod makes a difference.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Lionel84 (22nd June 2020), mudski (6th April 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah definatly, I did that on mine, quick easy & cheap. .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Extra little mod for you Mark. Sorry just spent 30 minutes looking for a pic but can't find one.

Drill 2 x 6mm holes through the case below the lip and through the retaining plate when in position. And the 2 x M6 bolts through. You need a 1mm spaces (maybe 2mm. A couple of washers) to space out the retainer so it slots into the top housing groove.

I have had this retainer Fail. Whole winch us out of action when it does. Easy mod makes a difference.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    Bloody legend you are. Thanks.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some photos of my own high mount mounted in an ARB on a GQ.
    I cooked the original motor early last year so put the roadrunner bullet motor on and refurbished top and bottom using the std warn kits.
    Seeing some of the mods suggested here next time it comes out will add them in.
    Chose the roadrunner motor partly because it came with a breather fitting as std. The old motor had been modified with a breather.
    As you say Mark it is shoehorned in. There are two ways to get mine out. Pull the bullbar off or pull the upper housing off then wriggle the bottom housing and drum out.
    winch3.JPGwinch2.JPGwinch1.JPG
    Last edited by tryan277; 6th April 2020 at 06:27 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tryan277 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (6th April 2020), Winnie (6th April 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks like you spaced that back a little Ryan? i have fitted a few into the ARB Deluxe bar and instead of spacing back i have notched the cross bar. looks tidy and give you a little more room at the back.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The winch and bulbar were on the vehicle when we bought it. The winch is mounted hard against the std mounting holes with no spacing. Yes its tight. The plastic grill has been trimmed and have a front mounted intercooler.

Cheers
    Trevor

14. The Following User Says Thank You to tryan277 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (6th April 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tryan277 View Post
    The winch and bulbar were on the vehicle when we bought it. The winch is mounted hard against the std mounting holes with no spacing. Yes its tight. The plastic grill has been trimmed and have a front mounted intercooler.

Cheers
    Trevor
    Cheers Trevor, that must be the Commercial bar ARB. Tidy, they have a bigger nose and designed for a himount. The deluxe bar needs a far bit of trimming to fit a himount in and a Big hole in the grille. Lol.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mudski's High Warn High Mount Rebuild into an ARB GU Bar

Ok I have the Iskra in my hands. Now. @MB do I remove the plastic end piece or n the motor? As with it the motor won’t fit.
    IMG_2766.jpg
    IMG_2767.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 24 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast