OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Temperature Gauge

  1. #1
    Beginner
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Temperature Gauge

    Hey Everyone,

    My in-dash temperature gauge does not seem to be working correctly. I bought a (actually another) SWB TD42 the other day and while driving home on the highway the coolant temp sat in the middle of the temp gauge as expected, then ran very hot when driving at slower speeds closer to home (not happy - expecting it's done a head or head gasket). Problem is... now it will barely move past the L mark even when left idling for 30mins. I replaced both the temperature sensor and the temperature sender on the thermostat housing with no luck. I followed the service manuals instructions to check that the gauge was getting power when in the 'ON' position which it was, and connecting the respective contact on the dash to an earth sent the gauge past the H line almost instantly. I know these gauges aren't accurate and I will get an aftermarket one later... but I still want all of the gauges in the dash to at least work.

    What else should I be checking for?

    Cheers,

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many

     

  3. #2
    Beginner
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have you checked if the thermostat is actually working , if it is now stuck open it wont warm up just idling

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to swamprat For This Useful Post:

    wickedwalrus (3rd April 2020)

  5. #3
    Beginner
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey swamprat =) I haven't pulled it apart to test however I ran it with the radiator cap off and with the heater on to get full circulation and the water in the radiator cap was pretty hot. I may give that a check next but do you know what the temperature range is on the guage from Low to High?

  6. #4
    Moderator MudRunnerTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    13,955
    Thanks
    10,248
    Thanked 10,914 Times in 5,634 Posts
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I recently had some big issues with my GU Temp gauge. I replaced the sender and the new sender sent it straight to operating temp as soon as i turned the key so knew it was out of calibration. reverted tot he old sender and it came good with some circuit cleaner so ignored it. Over New Year i was away and it started running HOT. damn it. I was running hot though so it was hard to tell the difference but when it got hot at Idle i was very very concerned that i had cooked the engine.

    When i got back i ripped out the sender and fitted a new Redarc digital gauge. I installed the redarc sending in lieu of the factory sender and fully disconnected the factory gauge. Best thing i ever did. The problem i believe for me was a compromised loom somewhere that i was never going to trace. I made it redundant and will never look back. The factory gauge simply no longer functions. The Redarc is a whole new learning curve for a TD though.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

  7. #5
    Expert
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    River Heads Q
    Posts
    431
    Thanks
    187
    Thanked 330 Times in 129 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    I recently had some big issues with my GU Temp gauge. I replaced the sender and the new sender sent it straight to operating temp as soon as i turned the key so knew it was out of calibration. reverted tot he old sender and it came good with some circuit cleaner so ignored it. Over New Year i was away and it started running HOT. damn it. I was running hot though so it was hard to tell the difference but when it got hot at Idle i was very very concerned that i had cooked the engine.

    When i got back i ripped out the sender and fitted a new Redarc digital gauge. I installed the redarc sending in lieu of the factory sender and fully disconnected the factory gauge. Best thing i ever did. The problem i believe for me was a compromised loom somewhere that i was never going to trace. I made it redundant and will never look back. The factory gauge simply no longer functions. The Redarc is a whole new learning curve for a TD though.
    Yes it is interesting watching temps go up and down with a real gauge while driving at different speeds and up and down hills. I have a VDO but it took 3 units to get it right as first two were faulty.
    The factory gauge gets to normal at about 60c and does not move after that no matter what the real temp is.
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard

  8. #6
    In Moderation
    mudski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Eltham North
    Posts
    13,220
    Thanks
    6,460
    Thanked 8,179 Times in 5,016 Posts
    Mentioned
    344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard52 View Post
    Yes it is interesting watching temps go up and down with a real gauge while driving at different speeds and up and down hills. I have a VDO but it took 3 units to get it right as first two were faulty.
    The factory gauge gets to normal at about 60c and does not move after that no matter what the real temp is.
    Come for a spin in my TD and I'll show you a factory gauge move.

  9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

    Hodge (8th April 2020), MudRunnerTD (8th April 2020), PeeBee (7th April 2020), Rossco (7th April 2020)

  10. #7
    Moderator MudRunnerTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    13,955
    Thanks
    10,248
    Thanked 10,914 Times in 5,634 Posts
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Come for a spin in my TD and I'll show you a factory gauge move.
    #JustSendIt

    Hahahaha. i have seen mine bounce off the top a couple of times mate. it aint good!!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •