Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SWB 1990 Patrol, front hub re-assembly

Hi guys and Gals,

I am new here so the first thing I want to complete is to say a big hi to the group and a thank you for letting me join. So Hi and thank you.

I must be open and say that the reason I am here is the manual download that came up in search. But before it will down load I 'had' to post or introduce or answer something. It feels a little curious to do that, but there you go. Years back I was involved in the 4wd industry selling Detroit Lockers. They are a much misunderstood product and I had a lot of fun over 5/6 years doing what I did. I met a lot of people and loved them all. The guys who 4wd and are involved are among the most genuine people I have ever met as a 'group'. The involvement of family in the sport and the level of skill held and displayed was really high. But for me that skill stuff is a growth curve and not all that significant by itself. What was significant and will stay with me till I die, was the level of willingness to share those skills. Driving, recovery, mechanics, maintenance, training of all sorts, wife involvement in driving etc. The wife part was so beautiful to see. And many exceeded hubby in hill climbs and hubby was PROUD. They were special years for me and they came back "having" to post something. Writing with a smile.

And then to what I am doing now. And the smile sags a little. I have a shorty 1990 petrol Patrol with at least a six inch lift. Bit of a show pony now though in all honesty. I feel it too high to be seriously stable on severe side slopes and major hill climbs. But that was my call as back then, tracks were closing and fines huge and I finished up the work and took the Patrol as part of getting out with no plans to 4wd seriously anymore so hence that last lift. Last rego was Dec 2004 and it has basically just stood. There is some clean up to do.

I have had this vehicle apart many times in the past and reassembled the same for maintenance, checks, repair and modification that it is a little embarrassing to acknowledge having pulled the hubs off the shafts with no drama only to have assembly pull up with the rear wheel bearing not umm sliding as easily onto the shaft as it came off. I stopped as I figured I had forgotten something I used to know or was missing something I should know. Better to get a manual and just have a little sticky beak and see what the procedure actually is.

YouTube failed me as they all tear down but ignored or did not cover the rebuild. OBVIOUSLY it is the reverse of the tear down, ha, until it isn't. I will see if I can get this manual and look there and who knows, maybe this will get a read and a reply. This for me is basically clean it up work. I am not replacing seals or bearings or anything yet as I want it ready to have a blue slip inspection. The real work will come when I understand what that is going to take. More than likely that will entail swapping the suspension for something that will pass. I am not overoptimistic like this, as is, because all the work to get the geometry right was done before offset bushes and adjustable panhard rods etc were ever available. To engineer this, the last time I checked, takes xrays of all structural welds. Not happening. But that may be old news too as I see many modified with V8's and high lifts with certification. Whatever, as I mentioned, it is clean up time with my first stumbling block a little embarrassing given how many times this thing has been apart over the years I was using it.

Well thanks again for the add and who knows, maybe this gets a read and a reply. Wish me luck with my down load. That little message said there were thousands who were doing that and it was slowing down the forum. So encouraging that thousands are playing in this area. I loved my time involved and hope to meet a few great people somewhere in the future. The camaraderie was extraordinary and so very very special.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,235 Times in 992 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate.
    In the words of a Dhuck "QUACK".

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dhuck For This Useful Post:

HiGQ Frank (29th March 2020)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Dhuck, thanks very much.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. This should be of some help. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Rebuild-Thread

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (30th March 2020)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mudnut, very appreciated. I had another attempt yesterday and after tapping the inner bearing onto the shaft by itself and removing it without a puller, I tried again with the hub assembled. Must have had it more level and using a little more force got the bearing seated. Thank you again for the info and the time to share. Really very appreciated.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol ye i want that manual as well