Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help for buying a gq

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the GQ/gu patrol community and currently am looking for a GQ for work and play but I'm unsure if a GQ with high kms like 350k-400k is going to be reliable to daily to and from work or should I save up a bit more money and get one with lower kms such as 200kms and is it worth getting an NA one or turbo one.

Currently looking at two, one with 400,000kms and one with 225,000 kms but it's about a $10,000+ difference.

Both are ute with the TD 4.2 engine.

thank you for your time.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If the TD42 is NA with 400k on it and nwver been touched it will probably be a pretty good unit mate. You could get a compression test done but it will be good I reckon.

If it is for work then it's Tax Deductable anyway. The 200k one would be nice but the 400k one will take a a turbo no hesitation.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    At the end of the day though you are looking at a Car that has done 400k. So drive Train, chassis, body mounts. The GQ is a Beast mate. Strong. Tough. If they are both Coil Cabs and you have the extra 10k to spend then it will hold its value well too. I buy the low km one if I could but you will be happy with the high km one.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, I was always going to look for the body mounts and see if it had rust anywhere on the chassis, the one with 400k km is NA, I only know the one with fewer kms is a coil cab I'm unsure if the one with higher kms is coil or leaf, and how would I go about getting a compression test down on the car?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also wish to know how long then the engine will last or should I look at getting the engine rebuilt? and no I cannot get it tax deductable