Thread: Safari torque converter lockup

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Safari torque converter lockup

Hi all, I am putting a manual tc lockup in my swb 96 td42t blacktop safari (jap import to NZ 12v) to Chaz's design, including all safety features. All tested great on the bench and in the car, now just the last step to go, the tcu lockup clutch solenoid wire.
    The issue is I can't find which wire it is, not pin 22. Pin 19 P/N lockout (white wire) is correct though. The tcu looks quite different to the unit in other members vehicles, and I have not been able to find info on this one. It has 95 on it in big numbers, and one big blue plug with a bolt holding it in place. Has anyone here seen one with this tcu? If I test while driving with a MM what voltages should I see unlocked and locked?
    I understand this has a pwm signal and will ramp up, but have not yet found this wire. Is there any other wires that give a similar signal that could cause confusion?
    Keen to resolve this as i believe it will be great for driveability as other members have found. Thanks in advance...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20200318_180444.jpg this is the tcu in question

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 614 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an indicator LED for my TC lockup and it is always glowing weakly when not locked but with slightly varying intensity. I've never bothered to measure the varying voltage. It comes on full intensity when locked.

The only GQ wiring diagram I have seen for a TB42S shows the lockup on pin #22 (as opposed to pin #3 for the GU) and it's a GY/R coloured wire. I've never seen a diagram for a single plug TCU.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks John, your name is very familiar with all the reading I have done. I think I have read everything in both forums on the mod and not seen a tcu like this one in a patrol. It may just be jap spec vehicles with the black turb motor that have this one. I wonder if this was a trial for the gu upgrades or something?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it possible that that particular electronic control box isn't the TCU? The Jap TD42T black top factory turbos (I have a '97 Jap TD42T in my ex-TB45E GU) had an ECU to control the EGR.
    John

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that muddies the water. The white wire was right for the P/N lockout but that doesn't mean much. How would I test?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t know where the normal GQ TCU location is. There might be a workshop manual somewhere here on the forum that could help.
    I have seen a diagram for a very early, ‘93 from memory, TD42T showing what really looks like 2 separate plugs for the TCU.
    John

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tcu is normally in the passengers kick panel, ecu in the dash behind the radio, and mine has another in the front of the passenger footwear, I'm guessing that this is the egr control unit. I think a call to nissan nz might be in order! The only other like mine that I have seen in forums was in Ukraine, and he was having issues identifying wires too...

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem solved! Regardless of vehicle spec the GQs seem to all use the same loom out of the trans, trace this back to the connectors behind the right side battery, there are two 8 pin connectors. The second connector down, pin 5 (blue wire) is the TCC solenoid. It's easy to make the connections here on the trans loom side of the plug.
    Do check the signal with a MM first though, it is a pwm signal ramping up from continuous 0.19v unlocked to 13v locked over 10 seconds or so. Checked with the wire cut also, to ensure no lockup occured. With the wire cut it produces a constant 7v, tries to lock the converter once (ramping volts up) and then throws a fault code and doesn't try to lock again until the tcu is reset.
    Exellent mod, glad I took the time to do it properly with all safety features according to chaz's diagram.
    I'll add a Screenshot of the wiring diagram for anybody else struggling with the Safari "95" tcu.
    Thanks all for your comments and input.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)