Thread: DIY: Maxtrax mounting brackets to high lift jack

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DIY: Maxtrax mounting brackets to high lift jack

So I can't claim this as an original idea. I found some USA company that makes a much neater/prettier version so I adapted it, simplified it and beefed it up. Anyways, I don't run a roof rack and have been annoyed at what a PIA these things are to store. Never-mind trying to get them out with all their knobbly bits getting caught on any interior or other gear stored inside the troll.

So with some 3cm and 2cm angle iron, flat bar I had laying around and 40 bucks worth of maxtrax mounting pins I knocked up my own.
    max1.jpg

Cut up some metal to make up some brackets with holes drilled and polished ready for welding.
    max6.jpg

Basic idea is to use the two bits of angle iron welded together with a couple of captured nuts incorporated.
    max2.jpg

Captured nuts glued on. I'm a pretty shocking welder so you'll have to overlook the ugly booger welds. So far everything I've made has held together.
    max7.jpg

Yay some heat penetration! That intro to welding Adult Ed class I took like 10 years ago is paying off.
    max8.jpg

Tacked the smaller 2cm angle iron in place covering the captured nuts.
    max9.jpg

Bottom bracket test bolted
    max13.jpg

Both brackets fitted and maxtrax bolt pins in place.
    max15.jpg

Brackets mounted from the backside of the jack.
    max16.jpg

Forgot to mention I already had one of those high lift jack holders that bolts to the spare wheel studs.
    22.jpg

I now have easily accessible maxtrax....so now i can take the easy way out. :P
    max17.jpg

FIN.

EDIT: The brackets are currently drying with primer and waiting to be painted. Might post a final pic once thats done, but you get the jist of it from this.
    Last edited by gazq; 8th March 2020 at 08:39 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gazq For This Useful Post:

10G (9th March 2020), Cremulator (9th March 2020), MudRunnerTD (8th March 2020), PeeBee (9th March 2020), rusty_nail (8th March 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement