User Tag List

Thread: Radiator Screen

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Radiator Screen

I need to make a radiator screen for driving through long grass.
    I need some ideas, so if you have made one, or bought one, please post up some details and pics.
    2010 TB4.8, 5 speed auto TI Wagon, Beaudesert ceramic coated Extractors and 2 1/2 inch exhaust, 3inch lift, BP-51 shocks, Black hawk radius arms and drop boxes, Road Runner Offroad billet alloy draglink, Boss air bags, 295/70/17 KM3s, Redarc Gauges, GME XRS UHF, Autometre fuel gauge, Alpine head unit with offroad maps, Carbon winch, Opposite lock bull bar, Light Force Strikers, Safari Snorkel, Duel long range tanks, work in progress.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,288 Times in 6,437 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Go to Bunnings and just get the wire mesh stuff for window screens and retro fit that up.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    X2 ^^^^^

I found the wire stuff works better than the nylon mesh
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is shade cloth no good? I have plenty of that in the shed.
    2010 TB4.8, 5 speed auto TI Wagon, Beaudesert ceramic coated Extractors and 2 1/2 inch exhaust, 3inch lift, BP-51 shocks, Black hawk radius arms and drop boxes, Road Runner Offroad billet alloy draglink, Boss air bags, 295/70/17 KM3s, Redarc Gauges, GME XRS UHF, Autometre fuel gauge, Alpine head unit with offroad maps, Carbon winch, Opposite lock bull bar, Light Force Strikers, Safari Snorkel, Duel long range tanks, work in progress.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,288 Times in 6,437 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    it would be better than nothing but I wouldn't use it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks mudski

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends upon what long sort of long grass you are driving through. We carry 'shadecloth' & window insect mesh, although the window mesh we have is the nylon type.

For stuff with 'sticky' seed, like spinifex I'd use the mesh. Agree that the wire stuff is probably better, mainly because it is stiffer & easier to insert down directly in front of the radiator, but I found it easier to store the nylon stuff. As it is we have never had need to use it as any spinifex we've driven through has been stuff which has already had others drive through it, knocking the seed out of it. If I did use the mesh it would be in conjunction with the shadecloth.

We have used the shadecloth on a number of occasions. Trapped under the bonnet, over the front of the bullbar & zip tied where possible under the car.

Driving the western end of the Munja Track in the Kimberley we we were driving for many kilometres of dry grass well above bonnet height. The shadecloth did a good job of stopping most stuff getting into the radiator. Had to pick a few 'strays' out from time to time, but not a big task. Surprisingly in the heat we had no overheating issues, although we were travelling slowly as the tall grass hid many rocks & washouts, I did keep a close eye on the temp gauge though. Cleaning out the grass from all the nooks & crannies under the car was a bigger task. I wouldn't mind betting that we still have some between the rear fuel tank & it's stone shield.
    There are different grades of shadecloth - obviously the finer mesh variety is best. Our stuff is the white stuff used in fruit tree nets.

In the long grass we also stopped frequently to check under the car to ensure nothing was smouldering. However when you have tall grass as far as the you can see in every direction safe clearings to stop in can be few & far between. We had no problems, but I felt sorry for anyone driving a car with a catalytic converter. There were tales of a car fitted with one catching fire a couple of weeks ahead of us. They were lucky as they were driving together with a friend in a second car who saw the smoke in time to alert the driver to stop & deal with it. Some damage as done, but the car was still driveable, & luckily their quick action avoided starting a huge fire with them in the middle of it.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

mudski (10th March 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks cuppa,that is exactly what I want the screen for.
    In may we are going to the Kimberly, and I would like to drive the Munja track, I want something to attach to the bullbar, when needed, it won't be on there all of the time.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you haven't seen it the Bachsten Creek Camp Face book page is an excellent source of info re conditions on the Munja especially to monitor when the track is being opened. (Usually around the end of May/early June) https://www.facebook.com/BachstenCre...amp/?ref=br_rs.

I had been concerned about taking out Tvan down to Walcott Inlet, & advice at Mt Elizabeth was anything towed over 800kg was not suitable, but when I spoke to Rick (owner of Bachsten Creek Camp) he told me he had his Pioneer camper (Tvan knock-off) down there & reckoned I'd have no trouble. (And he was pretty right).I think we had 12 nights on the track, including a couple of nights on the track, 3 at Bachstens & the rest at Walcott. Next time I'd add another day or three to spend more time at Bachstens.

Re the grass - would be a good idea to let a few others go down to Walcott before you. That way there is a defined track for you to follow & much of the seed will already have been knocked out of the grass. Even so you'll need the the protection as well as a fire plan.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 10th March 2020 at 09:37 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Cuppa, great info as usual, we probably wont get to that part of the Kimberley till June anyway.