Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Canning Stock Route 2020

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Whatever you decide I highly recommend you carry 1 of these (or equiv) in your emergency "grab bag".
    https://www.lifestraw.com/products/lifestraw

Literally millions of these personal filters in use around the world these days by military, NGO and other mobs esp in 3rd world countries but def the go if you have any issue with water quality or in an emergency if things go pear shaped
    Last edited by the evil twin; 8th March 2020 at 06:49 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

10G (9th March 2020), Hodge (9th March 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 753 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your valuable information & help. I will look into all of it.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    There are many ways to stay safe with water. We used to do what Steve does - filtering on the way in & out when we had our bus. Less room in the patrol called for a different method. Now we just filter on the way out. We use 1 micron solid block carbon filter impregnated with silver. The silver bit helps prevent any build up of nasties during periods on non use. Lots of filters out there to prevent bad tastes etc, but only those that specifically state that they are good for blocking the nasties like E.Coli, Giardia & Cryptospiridium (Sp?) will do so. Essentially you need an 'absolute' rating of 1 micron or less to do this I think. Many filters look good in the advertising, but when you look more closely they wont protect you against those 'bugs' which are what are the biggest risk from unknown water sources.

The B.E.S.T filters are certainly well thought of, but are quite expensive compared to others. I think (but could be wrong) that they contain granulated carbon. With granulated carbon the lower micron figures cannot be guaranteed because of the air gaps between the granules. This is where a solid carbon block is better. I used to use the standard 10" filter housings with appropriate filters. The advantage of these is that you can get replacement filters at just about any hardware store. The more expensive filters require you to use there replacements which generally cost more & are not easily obtained in out of the way places.

In the interests of saving space I changed to inline filters designed for chilled water outlets in the Patrol. They are a 'disposable' filter, but have been lasting us well. I change them if the water tastes bad (not yet happened) or after 12 months depending upon use. Last time I changed one was because it had sat unused for 7 months in a hot tropical climate. I had a couple of spares & thought it best to change even though the water was tasting ok. Having suffered the effects of 'bad water' in the past, it's not something I want to repeat. These are the filters I use. (Suitable micron size with silver in this size filter are not easy to find). https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12-x2-5-...F/121121928734 A cheaper similar filter , same size but no silver, is one that we've used when knowing we will be using our water daily for a while (& therefore don't need the 'storage capability' of the silver. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Inline-F...e/263274679052 this is 0.5 micron. Generally they come with click on hose fittings, so easy to change. I have found the plastic fittings have a limited life on corrugations, but have had no breakages since I switched to brass fittings. Plastic are OK, but ask for a few spares to carry.

Pumps. Shurflo are good. We had a 10lpm 'Whisper King' in our bus. I made a few mistakes with the Patrol. Started off with a 17Lpm pump. Ridiculous & used far too much battery power. Then bought another Shurflo like we had in the bus - now carry it as a spare. At the time we were using garden hose trigger guns as taps, & found the pressure on the pumps we had tried was simply too high, making the simple task of putting water into a saucepan difficult due to the 'splashback'. So we changed again, this time to a 3.5lpm pump, a 'mid priced ebay cheapie'. Didn't help with the splashback much (they all seem to run at 35psi or thereabouts), but we have fixed that issue with a change to normal taps. The advantage of the 3.5lpm pump though is that we waste less water. It still pumps through the filter just fine, & gives plenty of flow for a shower if we want, but we just tend to use less water, which we consider to be quite an advantage. I've carried the shurflo as a spare, only because I thought the ebay cheapie may not last, but it has now given 3 years service without a hiccup. All would manage the job of filling a bladder from a bucket. Higher flow rate will just be a bit quicker. For filling only a submersible pump may be the easiest to use solution & one like this would be quick.

Finally, back to water. We do carry a small quantity of liquid pool chlorine to use in our tanks if we have any doubt about the quality of the water (& never use cloudy water). It is really cheap to buy & we only carry 250mls, which is enough for a year or two. It does become less effective over time, but as it ages we simply add a bit more when using it. Most pool chlorine is around 12% strength. At that strength the recommended quantity for drinking water is 4mls per 100 litres. Alternatively you can use household bleach (no fragrance) which is about 1/3rd to 1/2 the strength of pool chlorine (same stuff) by icreasing the quantity. We have lived for several decades on tank water & really dislike the taste of chlorine in our water. Thankfully the carbon filters do a great job of totally removing the taste.

EDIT: B.E.S.T filters do have a 1 micron membrane at each end of the filter & thus claim that they protect from E.Coli, Giardia & Cryptospiridium. However many other 'caravan filters' are only 5 micron & don't.
    Thanks so much for taking the time to put down a detailed and very useful post Cuppa. I greatly appreciate the effort.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s worth having a read of the PDF from B.E.S.T regarding water filtration and treatment etc.
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...oklet.pdf?1535
    2016 GU Legend Edition: 3505Kg GVM Upgrade and Stuff!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stevemc181 For This Useful Post:

10G (11th March 2020)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemc181 View Post
    It’s worth having a read of the PDF from B.E.S.T regarding water filtration and treatment etc.
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...oklet.pdf?1535
    Thanks Steve, that article is worth reading.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

stevemc181 (11th March 2020)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sight seeing.

I'd really like to go see Helena Spring. From what I've read it's quite a trek to find it with the track being pretty overgrown. We're going solo so there's a very strong chance we won't go and take a look, the risk is too high. I think it's 80 - 100 kms off the CSR. Long way to walk back if you break down.

I want to get to the top of Mt Ford and take a look. Why? Why not.

Durba Springs of course, which I'm expecting to be a car park.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,451 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    FYI.

All permits revoked.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

AB (15th March 2020)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm keeping an eye on that stuff. They've banned travel through the APY lands in SA.

I really don't know if the Canning will be affected, however the Aboriginal communities that you visit to get fuel etc along the way may be????

The NLC covers permits for the NT.
    Last edited by 10G; 15th March 2020 at 11:41 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,451 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    Yeah, I'm keeping an eye on that stuff. They've banned travel through the APY lands in SA.

I really don't know if the Canning will be affected, however the Aboriginal communities that you visit to get fuel etc along the way may be????

The NLC covers permits for the NT.
    The flow on will be comprehensive. Expect this to be a standing order. Makes perfect sense to me. If this thing got into one of these communities it would be brutal.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (15th March 2020), Hodge (15th March 2020), PeeBee (16th March 2020)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234