Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wot he said X2 ^^^^

FWIW...

One type of cathodic protection system is the sacrificial anode. The anode is made from a metal alloy with a more "active" voltage (more negative electrochemical potential) than the metal of the structure it is protecting (the cathode). The difference in potential between the two metals means the sacrificial anode material corrodes in preference to the structure.

There must be two other conditions existing besides the anode and the cathode for the sacrificial anode method to work. There must be a return current path for the electrons to flow from the anode to the material it is protecting (being in physical contact is the usual path) and an electrolyte (water, humidity) to convey the electrons.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (28th February 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a couplertec on my gq when I bought it. That particular brand is not a cathodic type device like everything else mentioned in this thread. It does rely heavily on good continuity on every panel/anything that bolts together to function properly.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    I had a couplertec on my gq when I bought it. That particular brand is not a cathodic type device like everything else mentioned in this thread. It does rely heavily on good continuity on every panel/anything that bolts together to function properly.
    I can see that being a practical problem, however my patrol is covered in earth straps to provide a good earth plane for the HF radio. Whether that is enough to assist would remain to be seen. How did you think the system performed - were you able to detect rust formation or not? Would you recommend it?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    I can see that being a practical problem, however my patrol is covered in earth straps to provide a good earth plane for the HF radio. Whether that is enough to assist would remain to be seen. How did you think the system performed - were you able to detect rust formation or not? Would you recommend it?
    I removed it because it wasn't getting driven enough and would either flatten the battery or the battery was disconnected for months on end. There was not any rust on it. There is some rust on the chassis now its been disconnected for 5 years
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ben-e-boy For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (29th February 2020)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12