Thread: TD42 cooling issues

Hybrid View

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the help, temps are getting a bit better now.

I have replaced the radiator with a alloy one as the old one had a small weep.
    I also replaced the rad cap with a 1.1 bar one.

Now i can make it up a nearby ski field access road foot flat most of the way and it only got to the high 90's at the top, before it would got past 100 after about half the climb while taking it easy.

So i am pretty happy on the over heating issue, I am still not happy about the over cooling.

So once turning around the the top of the access road the temps drop really fast down to 70 , then continue to creep down to about the mid 50's by half way down.

My thoughts are that the thermostat is not closing properly but I have tried 3 thermostats (the one that was in it, a new genuine and a modified 4mm longer one)
    Does the head coolant bypass hose allow circulation thru the radiator bypassing the thermostat?
    Could it be the injectors? should i look at getting second hand ones and reco to factory spec or look at advancing timing on the pump and keeping high crack pressures ones?

Cheers.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,337 Times in 6,451 Posts
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy123 View Post
    Thanks for all the help, temps are getting a bit better now.

I have replaced the radiator with a alloy one as the old one had a small weep.
    I also replaced the rad cap with a 1.1 bar one.

Now i can make it up a nearby ski field access road foot flat most of the way and it only got to the high 90's at the top, before it would got past 100 after about half the climb while taking it easy.

So i am pretty happy on the over heating issue, I am still not happy about the over cooling.

So once turning around the the top of the access road the temps drop really fast down to 70 , then continue to creep down to about the mid 50's by half way down.

My thoughts are that the thermostat is not closing properly but I have tried 3 thermostats (the one that was in it, a new genuine and a modified 4mm longer one)
    Does the head coolant bypass hose allow circulation thru the radiator bypassing the thermostat?
    Could it be the injectors? should i look at getting second hand ones and reco to factory spec or look at advancing timing on the pump and keeping high crack pressures ones?

Cheers.
    I've decided myself to go back to stock injectors. To be honest I dont even know how much better high crack pressure injector are than stockies. Ive just had them in my car since the motor got built so I dont know any different. And from my understanding, advancing the timing should solve the issue of heat, but it comes at a cost of power, again, not sure how much. But it just seems pointless to me to lose power just to have these injectors in. I might aswell have stock injectors, plus plenty of people getting around with stock injectors running more power than I am.