OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you keep the GU's 5sp shifting smooth as butter?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you keep the GU's 5sp shifting smooth as butter?

I just got off of a 2000+ km journey with my newly purchased Patrol. It was shifting smooth as butter the first day I had it, and I was grinning ear to ear. But on the second day of driving, I noticed the shifting seemed noticeably "crankier". Instead of shifting smoothly between gears, it began to take some careful articulation, especially between 2nd and 3rd. Which is fine, but just not nearly as enjoyable.

How do you keep the GU's 5 speed transmission shifting smoothly? What kind of maintenance is required?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    First, check that the clutch is disengaging properly. It wouldn't hurt to bleed the clutch fluid to get any air out of the system.

According to the workshop manual, page nine: the manual gearbox requires a GL4 rated oil 75w90. GL5 is too sticky and causes the syncromesh to grab and grind. I hope, for your sake, that the vendor didn't put additives in the box to quieten it down for the test drive. There are some situations where the oil/additives used are tougher than the brass components and will cause the metal to erode.

My suggestion would be to drain the box and fill it with the correct oil and see if it runs better.
    Last edited by mudnut; 18th February 2020 at 10:06 AM.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Change the oil as stated would be a good start. I also add the Nulon G70 additive in mine, which has helped a lot, since the box is circa 450thou old. Only a matter of time for mine now though. What motor is in your Patrol too?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice guys. I plan to have Nissan look into this when they service the ute (TD42) tomorrow.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come back for a second opinion if they quote you anything stupid..
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by svocamper View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys. I plan to have Nissan look into this when they service the ute (TD42) tomorrow.
    Is it a stock TD? Mine runs with around 650nm, the first time I went away towing the camper I was pretty much on the go pedal in 5th and pushing it up hills etc etc and I found that when I came into a town and had to slow down I found it real difficult to change up gears. Turns out I had cooked the gear oil from too much load, eg flogging it up hills, a lot, with the camper in tow. After I changed the oil and changed my driving style all is good.

FWIW, don't bother taking it to Ni$$an for this. They'll just change the oil or tell you that a new gearbox is on the cards.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (18th February 2020), Lawrence (19th February 2020)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The service manager at Nissan tells me my current gear oil is in pristine shape.

Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    According to the workshop manual, page nine: the manual gearbox requires a GL4 rated oil 75w90. GL5 is too sticky and causes the syncromesh to grab and grind. I hope, for your sake, that the vendor didn't put additives in the box to quieten it down for the test drive. There are some situations where the oil/additives used are tougher than the brass components and will cause the metal to erode.
    I take it the current gear oil is likely GL-5 then. GL-4 was impossible to find locally; the best they had was Penrite Pro Gear Fully Synthetic 75W-85 rated "GL-4 plus". I'm having Nissan put that in for me, because it's the best I can manage in the short term.

Previously, the ute was owned by a retired pensioner in rural NSW, and I'm guessing the Nissan service center he took it to there didn't use GL-4 gear oil; the current one I'm at in a much bigger town didn't know what GL-4 even was or why it was applicable. I'm glad I brought in the Penrite, because they fully intended to use a mystery gear oil in its absence.

Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    My suggestion would be to drain the box and fill it with the correct oil and see if it runs better.
    This is a good suggestion. The service manager at Nissan here had me convinced not to change it out, but I went back and ordered them do it anyway just now.

On a completely different note, the Nissan service center I'm at right now truly had no idea what they were doing when it came to gear oil. In fact, they do not inspire confidence at all, except insofar as they are doing the least amount of work possible, and sign off on having performed work for record-keeping purposes.

The whole experience is making me second guess taking it to Nissan dealerships in the future.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Is it a stock TD?
    Its only notable modification is a 3" exhaust.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I hope the GL4 plus is not just a GL5. I had the same problem with shifting after my gearbox was changed out. I asked the mechanic which oil he used, and it turned out to be GL5.

I used Castrol VMX M GL4 and the gear change is silky smooth, even on cold days.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your experience sounds pretty standard form for dealers. A reputable independent is nearly always better from my experience. At least they will do what you want even if it's not what the dealers hand book says.
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast