Thread: Magnetic phone mounts offroad.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Magnetic phone mounts offroad.

Has anyone used a magnetic phone mount in their car? I'm thinking about buying one which is also a wireless fast charger for my new phone. https://www.scosche.com/collections/...phone-chargers - the air vent mounted version.

The main things I am interested in are how well (or otherwise) they hold the phone when off road. They look so much more user friendly than many of the non magnetic offerings, but would be about as useful as t*ts on a bull if the phone is likely to fall off on anything rougher than smooth bitumen.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

MB (12th February 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure about the new ‘Magic Mount’ brand version Cuppa but do know our Glamping neighbours in their motorhome have tried many latest expensive magnetic holders to no avail so far unfortunately mate!
    I did have somewhat good success years back with commercial grade ‘Velcro’ until McGoogle maps came along and super heated phone batteries turning adhesives to goo I found :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (13th February 2020)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've had one for a while ...I have the type where a small metal plate goes under a phone cover of my choice and unless I accidentally knocked it off with my hand , it stayed clamped to the holder !
    It's been on some rather rough high country tracks with me and it held up honestly.
    The weak link is the suction mount ... It dries up and falls off ... But I take it off and wet it weekly and it does the job.
    Mines not a wireless charging version. I don't subscribe to that technology yet after seeing how hot the batteries get from it.
    2005 TD42TI

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    I've had one for a while ...I have the type where a small metal plate goes under a phone cover of my choice and unless I accidentally knocked it off with my hand , it stayed clamped to the holder !
    It's been on some rather rough high country tracks with me and it held up honestly.
    The weak link is the suction mount ... It dries up and falls off ... But I take it off and wet it weekly and it does the job.
    Mines not a wireless charging version. I don't subscribe to that technology yet after seeing how hot the batteries get from it.
    The 'holding ' part of your reply is encouraging, the heating up part less so.

I haven't actually experienced the wireless charging yet Hodge, & there seem to be mixed reviews about the batteries getting hot. So they do actually get pretty hot then? Hmmmm.

On my old phone (iphone SE) & my wife's Ipad we have had problems with the 'Lightning connectors' on both & google reveals we are far from alone. Our phone is essential to us as we travel, & the new one (iphone XS) has the same cable connection so I was thinking that a second means of charging might be good to have. The idea of an easy to use holder appeals just to give the phone a home in cab. We don't really use the phone whilst driving (no bluetooth radio for hands free), & our Hema navigator serves us well, so no need to use the phone as a GPS, just want it somewhere safe, not banging around in the glovebox or down the side of a seat. So a kill 2 birds with one stone approach. I doubt I'd leave the charger plugged in all the time. Was thinking the air vent mount as I too have had issues with suction mounts in the heat, & if the phone gets hot I can use the aircon to help cool it if need be......& to be honest I don't want to obscure my vision through the windscreen any more than it already is with the Hema, & definitely don't want to attract some young Mr Plod's attention by having it 'on display' with the new phone laws just recently introduced in Qld.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 12th February 2020 at 07:17 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know much about the magnetic holder side of things aside from playing with one in a shop somewhere.. I remember being sceptical and then pleasantly surprised with how it held a phone. Still, it obviously didn't impress me enough to commit it to memory haha.

Also, maybe I've just been unlucky.. But I've never found a vent mount anything that held on or sat properly. Everyone on here put me onto the Ram mount stuff. They're simple and strong (but a little bit exxy) and have a bunch of mounting options.
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cuppa, I use a Quadlock holder with fast wireless charging. It requires their case to be used on the phone which looks fairly bulky in the pics online but in reality is barely noticeable.
    I highly recommend, use it in my daily driver and on a 2 week offroad tassie holiday with no complaints at all.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Cuppa, I use a Quadlock holder with fast wireless charging. It requires their case to be used on the phone which looks fairly bulky in the pics online but in reality is barely noticeable.
    I highly recommend, use it in my daily driver and on a 2 week offroad tassie holiday with no complaints at all.
    Thanks Winnie, I hadn't seen those before, they really do look the business. Shame they don't seem to have a air vent mount. I'll have to wait until we get back to Cairns in a few weeks to suss out where in the cab I might mount one (Car is in storage in Cairns ATM). I'd really prefer not to have anything else on the windscreen or up on the dash to obscure my view. Do you have yours with an iphone? Have you found it gets ecessively hot when charging?

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Thanks Winnie, I hadn't seen those before, they really do look the business. Shame they don't seem to have a air vent mount. I'll have to wait until we get back to Cairns in a few weeks to suss out where in the cab I might mount one (Car is in storage in Cairns ATM). I'd really prefer not to have anything else on the windscreen or up on the dash to obscure my view. Do you have yours with an iphone? Have you found it gets ecessively hot when charging?
    I have a Samsung phone. I wouldn't say excessively hot, definitely gets warm though especially when the sun is on the windscreen.
    The phone does stop accepting a charge when it thinks the temp may be getting too hot. When that happens it will usually cool down for 5 mins then accept a charge again.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Think these are the ones Winnie mentioned. (pic below) These are the best on the market. Well, they certainly look so. @Cuppa
    I've been looking into cases with magnetic charging for a while now. Thought I'd mention, different phones will heat up differently, depending on type of battery in it, amount of charging, battery status, ambient temps (e.g. windscreen in the sun), etc...
    The phone itself can handle the heat cycles from charging,as they have a thermal cut-off, but you're reducing your battery life span greatly. The tiny Li-ion batteries cramped into a smart phone these days, very much don't like to be under heat stress , especially from inductive couplling.

Attached Images Attached Images
    2005 TD42TI

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll second the quad lock, they are a bloody great holder, though I do notice when I am using the wireless charger with the windscreen mount and the heat from the windscreen is glaring in, the phone can get too hot and shutdown, particularly if you're using google maps or something similar at the same time. My solution is to turn on the windscreen aircon vents, this does the trick nicely.
    I've had mine for about 12 months and it has only come off once, when I got it caught in a thread from a windscreen visor as I removed it. The car sits in full sun in WA all day, it handles severe corrugations no problems, which surpised me a bit, as I've never found any other mount that works this well. Best windscreen phone mount I've ever used.
    Last edited by stevemc181; 13th February 2020 at 02:17 PM.
    2016 GU Legend Edition: 3505Kg GVM Upgrade and Stuff!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to stevemc181 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast