User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Magnetic phone mounts offroad.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use this alligator style phone holder. It's supposed to stick to the dash with 3M double sided tape but I just added some stick on Velcro to the base and it holds well to the dash mat.
    It does rock sideways / vibrate a bit on corrugations but it holds firm.
    Only $7.50 delivered!
    I previously had a magnetic mount on the air vent but I didn't like it covering the air con/heater or the hazard lights switch!
    Last edited by Cremulator; 13th February 2020 at 05:07 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cremulator For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (13th February 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well we have been giving this a lot more thought today as well as a great deal of googling/comparing etc, & believe we have reached a compromise which will work for us. There is no doubt in my mind that the Quadlock which Winnie has is the bees knees ...... except for one thing - it's stuck on the window where up here in the north it will get a damn sight hotter than down in Vic or Tassie. Add to that it would decrease my vision.

My compromise is to give up on the idea of wireless charging for now, (but may reconsider in the future if we have any more cable/connection problems). I have taken note of some of the concerns both online & from Hodge about reduced battery life resulting from getting hot, both whilst charging wirelessly & generally in hot environments. Some of you with long memories might recall I built a second glovebox in our car, an ideal place to to keep a phone when not in use. Well it is not so ideal after all, it gets very hot in there, like a little oven almost & I believe it was the heat in there which prematurely killed the battery in my previous phone at just 18 months old.

MrsTea & I have also clarified that we don't need to have the phone in view when driving. We don't need it as a GPS - the Hema HX1 does that. We also only get a small number of calls, don't have bluetooth/handsfree, & reckon there is no call urgent enough to require an instant response. They can all wait until we find somewhere to safely pull over within a half hour or so.

So what is required are three things. A 'home' for the phone in the cab where it wont get too hot, wont get jostled around with other stuff risking damage & where it can be charged whilst driving. Our compromise is to continue charging with the standard charge cable for now, & to buy a non charging version of the Quadlock mount, the simplest one they have which just sticks onto a flat surface with adhesive, & a corresponding part to stick onto my existing phone cover. We'll have to wait until we are back in Cairns with the car again, but I suspect sticking the a Quadlock mount on the rear window of the cab between the two seats will probably work ok, & another in the Tvan somewhere (they come in twin packs for $25).
    Last edited by Cuppa; 13th February 2020 at 07:55 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have you considered a vent mount qi charger? I have one, it's fantastic. Can't fall off like the suction ones do and wireless charging all day is great.

Sent from my Armor 5S using Tapatalk
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    Have you considered a vent mount qi charger? I have one, it's fantastic. Can't fall off like the suction ones do and wireless charging all day is great.
    You're taking me around in a circle Nick. That is what I was considering initially, then thought about window mounted, but have ended up coming back to not needing wireless(qi) charging for now. It may become a consideration again if the standard cable charging becomes problematic as has occurred on my old phone & on my wife's old ipad. Based on this & many other similar articles, we are now careful to ensure we always plug the cable into the phone before we connect/disconnect it from power.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,244 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shove the shit guilty thing in the Glovebox Mate!
    You have to date perfectly engineered dead set true appreciation of surroundings to teach us all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Has anyone used a magnetic phone mount in their car? I'm thinking about buying one which is also a wireless fast charger for my new phone. https://www.scosche.com/collections/...phone-chargers - the air vent mounted version.

The main things I am interested in are how well (or otherwise) they hold the phone when off road. They look so much more user friendly than many of the non magnetic offerings, but would be about as useful as t*ts on a bull if the phone is likely to fall off on anything rougher than smooth bitumen.
    Can't speak about this particular model, but I can say that I've used those magnetic ball mounts on my phone for a while. I found that they were very secure, but effected the battery life of the phone, so I stopped using it.
    2014 Titanium Y61 with all the fruit ................

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12