Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU Leaf Telstra Canopy GVM

Hi all,

Has anyone got any information on the weight of the set ups with Telstra Canopies? I'm looking to buy one and set up for a trip but have heard GVM may be an issue? Would be good to get an idea on weight of an empty pod so I know how much gear I can carry.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out our one, but bear in mind that I fitted it out after previously touring in a bus based motorhome which influenced what I wanted, so it is on the heavy side. I have a 3900kg GVM upgrade & with full water & fuel tanks, sufficient supplies to last us a month (& a Tvan tow ball weight of 110kg) we just scrape in under the GVM figure. Despite a few merchants of doom who predicted we would regret the weight , we are now into our third year on the road, have seen plenty of outback tracks, high clearance tracks & corrugations without major mishap. We did break a rear leaf spring on the Munja Track, but still managed another 1000kms until we could get it sorted. The key (for us at least) is to travel slow. Faster travel puts greater stress onto the vehicle, & combined with weight makes damage a greater risk.

It is very easy to exceed the GVM. A coil cab is 3050kg I believe. Ours a leaf sprung cab chassis has a factory GVM of 3400kg. I was confident that my fit out would fall within that & was dismayed when it was 300kg over, including two people. That's when I got the GVM upgrade.

http://cuppa500.com/Blog/modifications/

To stay within the stock GVM, especially of you have a coil cab, you would need to think in terms of keeping everything as basic & simple & light as possible.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 11th February 2020 at 10:42 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Cuppa I did spend a a fair bit of time reading through your whole thread that's the only reason I thought of it! Haha. What's involved in a GVM upgrade? I think my set up will be a lot more basic than yours but would be good to know the empty weight before I started fitting out. Might make a trip to get it weighed (once I find a telstra canopy to buy)

Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting a gvm upgrade probably varies from state to state. Basically for me, in Vic, it was just a matter of money. Lovell’s have a kit with approvals for 3 litre Patrols. I had to use this, has to be installed by a Lovells approved installer, & cos the kit doesn’t have approvals for the 4.2 it had to be ‘ engineered’ including dynamic braking tests etc. Not a cheap exercise, so yep, keep it light & basic if you can. It helped that there was a local engineer with knowledge of the Lovell’s kits, used previously on local mine vehicles.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJONES2431 View Post
    Hi all,

Has anyone got any information on the weight of the set ups with Telstra Canopies? I'm looking to buy one and set up for a trip but have heard GVM may be an issue? Would be good to get an idea on weight of an empty pod so I know how much gear I can carry.

Thanks
    Those old XL bodies weren't light by modern standards. I seem to recall somewhere around 250 -300 kgs...

If you already have a tray then you may find it cheaper and lighter to just get a basic alloy hood and go from there...