Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Power steering cooing sound when cold

Lately I've been hearing a Power steering "cooing" sound when cold / at first steering turn. Not quiet sure the best way to describe the sound but it's kind of like a short mellow "owl" sound.
    So after motor turned on when cold / not driven, example morning. The cooler the temps, the more evident it is. As soon as I turn steering left or right even slightly, this develops. After that NO sound. Business as usual.
    There is no leaks anywhere around the pump, oil is full and looks OK. Although I believe this has NEVER been replaced. And I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's becoming more common and louder as time goes on...

Could this be a sign of the power steering pump filling it's retirement papers out or something else? Water in oil? Should I re-do the oil? @jaysee You've done your pump recently have you not? What was the story behind that...
    2005 TD42TI

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Check the belt tension and condition. It might be glazed or have oil on it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

Hodge (9th February 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine makes a noticeable sound when turning the wheel at low speeds. I haven't taken notice of the difference between cold/hot. I plan to flush the fluid in the near future.
    Last edited by pollenface; 10th February 2020 at 12:47 AM.
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pollenface For This Useful Post:

Hodge (10th February 2020)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks gents.
    Mudnut I have a spare old belt I might slip on and see ... I'm not good at telling what's good or bad on a belt ... 5 minute job and that should confirm yey or ney ... Watch this space.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 3,717 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not yet mate.

Mine got drowned in muddy water. Going to replace it soon.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have just flushed mine, fluid was pretty dirty. The sound is less but still noticeable at low speeds (parking lots).
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pollenface View Post
    Have just flushed mine, fluid was pretty dirty. The sound is less but still noticeable at low speeds (parking lots).
    Hey mate. Thanks for the heads up.
    I checked and re-checked all my belts and they seem fine, even though i have a brand new set of belts to go on if need be.

What was your process in flushing it ?? I'm reading around interwebz that unless you really need to flush the steering fluid, then dont touch it ! It's a can of worms apparently and will never be able to properly bleed it and will feel sloppy forever. Please tell me it's wrong. I'd really like to get it done as i dont think its ever been touched. Car is just over 140k now.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On a level surface, chock the rear wheels with the handbrake on. Jack up the front and put it on stands.

Take off the low pressure line at a suitable join. (Clean the join first). Make sure you have a container under the join as you undo it.

Block the reservoir end and tie the low pressure line so it is pointing into a bucket. I used a piece hose that I kinked and over and squashed closed with a hose clamp as a plug.

Hint: make sure the hose is properly tied to the bucket or it will flick out and drown the surface you are working on.

Unlock the steering and turn it from side to side. It should pump the old fluid out. Top up the res so it doesn't get air bubbles in the line.

Keep pumping through the fluid until it comes out clean.

Refit the hose and top up the res. Turn on engine and turn the steering wheel from side to side. Check fluid level and top it up.

Take the vehicle for a short drive, and check the level.

You might have to do it a couple of times to completely flush out the old fluid.
    Last edited by mudnut; 23rd February 2020 at 12:59 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

Hodge (23rd February 2020), mudski (28th February 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Hey mate. Thanks for the heads up.
    I checked and re-checked all my belts and they seem fine, even though i have a brand new set of belts to go on if need be.

What was your process in flushing it ?? I'm reading around interwebz that unless you really need to flush the steering fluid, then dont touch it ! It's a can of worms apparently and will never be able to properly bleed it and will feel sloppy forever. Please tell me it's wrong. I'd really like to get it done as i dont think its ever been touched. Car is just over 140k now.
    I just lift the front wheels off the ground with engine off, suck the fluid out of the reservoir, then turn the wheels left, suck again, turn wheels right, suck again, start pouring in fresh fluid to full mark, turn wheels left, top up fluid, turn wheels right, top up fluid, run engine and turn wheels left and right to full lock a few times, check level, then go for a drive with a lot of sharp turns.

It's really a partial flush but you could do it a couple of times if you really wanted to be thorough.
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon