Thread: 1993 Patrol y260 wagon when 4x4 is activated turning problem

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1993 Patrol y260 wagon when 4x4 is activated turning problem

Hi guys, I have a 1993 Patrol III y260 wagon type and when I active 4x4 H, car struggle to turn right or left and make clinking noise like stripping something. I read some articles and someone sait that all okey. But I need to know it is normal or my transfer case, cv joint or diff. is broken ?

Thank you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi mate, I am assuming you are running this test on a dort road?? If on bitumen then your asking for trouble.

I would recommend jacking the front diff off thengroun and put it on stands and try steering lock to lock. You could put it in 4 stands and spin the wheels. Spinning the wheels by hand should provide you enough feedback to figure if you have a smashed CV.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Did it start to do that all of a sudden or has it always been like that?
    Does it do it in 4x4L as well?
    Did it first happen when doing some 4X work?

Your symptoms are exactly like how a Mechanical Diff Lock works (Detroit Locker, Lokka etc)

As suggested... If you jack the front diff so both wheels are off the ground, engage the hubs and turn the wheels by hand that will help pinpoint the issue.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe the chain in the transfer case has stretched/worn and is jumping teeth under load. I have seen this happen twice on friends vehicles with alot of kms. One was able to find a replacement chain and fix it, the other sold his vehicle.
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted