Thread: 3.0lt GU Patrols - Grenade Facts

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello All,
    I'm fairly new on the forum but I managed to get my hand on the Nissan Patrol Reference Document.. and I've read it twice! I'll soon be getting (about a month to go) a 2008 GL 3lt diesel patrol wagon. It's done 100k and the previous owner has just done a major service on it, changing the tensioner on the belts (+ belts), a steering damper, and an electric window, rear shocks and a bunch of other small odds and ends and filters and oils. What I seemed to understand from the reference doc is that newer Patrols have had issues ironed out that perhaps plagues older models and are the main points of discussion in than reference doc.

So my feeling is that some of the supposed "fixes" that are suggested in the reference doc may be unnecessary or out of date for my 2008 model, and besides fitting a snorkel and an oil catch-can there's not really much else I should be doing (at this stage). Just a note I'll be doing moderate 4x4ing, a lot of city driving, little or no towing and moderate highway driving. Any other experiences with 2008 model Patrols that I should know about? And which mods are really necessary/recommended.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jd1566 View Post
    Hello All,
    I'm fairly new on the forum but I managed to get my hand on the Nissan Patrol Reference Document.. and I've read it twice! I'll soon be getting (about a month to go) a 2008 GL 3lt diesel patrol wagon. It's done 100k and the previous owner has just done a major service on it, changing the tensioner on the belts (+ belts), a steering damper, and an electric window, rear shocks and a bunch of other small odds and ends and filters and oils. What I seemed to understand from the reference doc is that newer Patrols have had issues ironed out that perhaps plagues older models and are the main points of discussion in than reference doc.

So my feeling is that some of the supposed "fixes" that are suggested in the reference doc may be unnecessary or out of date for my 2008 model, and besides fitting a snorkel and an oil catch-can there's not really much else I should be doing (at this stage). Just a note I'll be doing moderate 4x4ing, a lot of city driving, little or no towing and moderate highway driving. Any other experiences with 2008 model Patrols that I should know about? And which mods are really necessary/recommended.

Thanks
    2008 is a Common rail Diesel and does not have grenade issues. Catchj can is always a good idea on any diesel.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

jd1566 (27th June 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine in the RAA told me that the early Di's (2000-2002) did have the hand grenade issue but it got better with each revision. By 2006 the Di's where much more reliable. Since the CRD's where introduced the failure rate of the 3.0 litre is the same as for other manufacturers. This is based on call outs to tow cars and workshop info from associated RAA approved repairers etc.
    He even mentioned that if you call the RAA and ask them for advise on cars they do not suggest you buy a Di for towing but CRD's are alright. I haven't called to verify this though.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rock Trol For This Useful Post:

jack (26th June 2015), jd1566 (27th June 2015)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just read this entire thread and found it very interesting to say the lest.

One point I'd like to bring up is.... if this was an inherent problem, why have Nissan not done a recall on the motor to address the issues, or do Nissan totally reject that there is a fault with said motors.

Are the motors a Renault motor as ive been told this

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevelb21 View Post
    I have just read this entire thread and found it very interesting to say the lest.

One point I'd like to bring up is.... if this was an inherent problem, why have Nissan not done a recall on the motor to address the issues, or do Nissan totally reject that there is a fault with said motors.

Not all motors blow up so Nissan can deny its a problem. No one really knows the exact percentage of grenades. While you hear most of the horror stories, you don't always hear of the ones doing big km's without problems as a lot of owners don't get on the web to research their cars if there are no problems. The danger is that if you read too much you start worrying constantly. I am not sure if ignorance is bliss in this situation.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rock Trol For This Useful Post:

Hodge (2nd July 2015)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevelb21 View Post

These ZD30s are not Renault motors, if they were they'd be fixed long time ago! In any case no European engineer (except Bosch cretins) would put his name to such abomination. It is standard Japanese engineering afterthoughts!

Nissan just follows established standards of Japanese culture; "never admit failure to risk loosing your face" aka shame!

When you look at any Japanese manufacturers the tendency is to deny/lie/avoid/obfuscate anything but admit fail until they're cornered like the filthy rats and exposed! Toyota, Mitsubishi, Takata, Sony, Panasonic, Nintendo ..... the list is endless. Heck, look at the successive conservative Japanese governments, to this day they will not admit to the crimes committed in WW2. No apologies, no souls searching, no public admissions like Germans for example.

Regards
    Last edited by Rumcajs; 27th June 2015 at 03:10 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rumcajs For This Useful Post:

Rock Trol (27th June 2015)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I'd ask the question about it being Renault, I either read it or heard someone say it , just wanted to be sure

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read somewhere that the ZD30 is the first diesel engine that Nissan has designed. All the other diesels (TD42 etc) where designed by UD which was part of Nissan. When they had their financial difficulties in the late 90's the truck division was sold off and Nissan went to Renault. That's when they designed the engine and why Renault gets the blame. I think the ZD30 is also used by Renault in some of their trucks/vans.

The YD25 is Nissans second effort at diesel and I think is much better. The 3.0 litre V6 is Renault through and through. That's why they where only installed in the Navara which is also built in Spain(?).
    Last edited by Rock Trol; 27th June 2015 at 09:56 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rock Trol For This Useful Post:

Stevelb21 (27th June 2015)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rock Trol for shedding some light on it for me... cheers

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry, i got a quick question - having looked around for a bit i bought a 2002 pre crd engine and now a 2006 model has come up. which yer did they go to crd?

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast