Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maverick Ute Wide Guard Conversion - Help

Hi,

There was at least one or two threads around the net in relation to updating the narrow maverick front end to the wide guards. Unfortunately I cannot find them again. Does anyone know what is required or of people who have done this?

I've been told it can be done with wagon front guards and radiator support panel. However it was pointed out to me at PatrolAPart that the GQ utes had a longer gap between the start of the guard arch and the firewall and that I'd have to find a leaf GQ ute.
    Last edited by dare92; 6th February 2020 at 07:36 PM.
    Cheers,
    Matt
    ---------------------------------------
    1988 Ford Maverick Ute (All Leaf)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Confirmed that Leaf and Coil wheelbase are exactly the same. However Leaf axles sit 100mm further forward on the chassis than coil. Thus Only leaf guards will fit leaf vehicles.
    Cheers,
    Matt

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dare92 For This Useful Post:

MB (6th February 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,102 Times in 2,861 Posts
    Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers @dare92 mate, awesome research it sounds found top sharing bloke!
    GQ’s are new to me but loving currently running a ute variant as my daily too.
    I’m wondering if the leafy/coily guard differences are due to travel arcs or the like?
    Radius arms on my front end work coily must swing forwards to level, does your leafy tough beast have its fixed fulcrum springs front or rear, honestly keen to learn mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @MB Honestly, I don't know a whole lot about the specifics of how suspension works. But I've been told leaves move the axle forward under load which is the reason the guards have a larger gap between the start of the arch and the door. I was told by the guys at PatrolaPart that the Leafy's have a chassis very similar to the MQ. It was suggested that it was about 100mm difference and when I checked they were right. When you measure from the door of a Leafy to the hub then do the same on a Coil Wagon, there is 100mm difference. By eye you can tell that the tyre sits further forward and that there is more guard behind the wheel and less in front. Comparing the two you start to realise how far forward the front hangars sit on the Leafy's as they are super close to the end of the chassis. I have not measured tip to tip length of the two chassis (coil & leaf).

Further investigation turns out that there are 3 guard types for the Leaf models. The Maverick had the narrow guard with MQ style grill. The Early GQ had the same MQ style grill but with a flared guard similar to the Wagons and the way to tell is that it has the same flashers as the Maverick on the guard. The Late GQ had the same guard style as the series 1 Wagon guards including front grill in which I ASSUME that the radiator support panel is not the same as the early GQ/Maverick.

From my understanding I do not believe the GQ Ute ever got the series 2 update.

1988 Maverick Leaf Ute.jpg1998 GQ Leaf Ute 2.jpg1998 GQ Leaf Ute 1.jpg1990 GQ Leaf Ute 2.jpg1990 GQ Leaf Ute 1.jpg
    Last edited by dare92; 10th February 2020 at 07:33 PM.
    Cheers,
    Matt

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dare92 For This Useful Post:

MB (10th February 2020)