Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RD28 won't stay running - fluctuating RPM

G'day,

On a recent trip from Albury to Brisbane, I noticed while driving on the highway a slight miss in my 98 GU RD28 patrol. The car has about 230k km on the clock and I've owned it since 200k km, which is also when it had the timing belt done. The car has the EGR blocked and a 3" exhaust, with everything else engine wise being stock as far as I can tell.

The car seemed fine and kept driving okay. About 100km later I lost all power and came to a halt on the side of the road. Got a free tow to my parents on the Gold Coast.

The next morning, I attempted to start the car, and managed to get it started, though, it would not stay running. The rpm would fluctuate rapidly and eventually after about 5 seconds would stall. I looked at the ecutalk and noticed errors for cam position sensor (pump) and crank position sensor.

In the last 15k kms I've had the injectors reconditioned. In the last 2k kms I've replaced the fuel filter.

I've checked for any leaks, or for where air may be getting into the system and it all seems fine. I've checked the resistance of both sensors in question and they are both within spec, though I haven't physically removed them and inspected their condition. I've also noticed a metallic rattling noise whilst the engine is running prior to it stalling.

From my research, it seems that there are two possible causes. The first being that the crank sensor is stuffed and the rattling is from the tone wheel. The second possible cause is the timing of the IP being out, which may suggest why the cam sensor is throwing a code too.

The trouble for me is trying to get it to a mechanic when it's not running and being that I live and work in Ipswich, while the car's stuck on the Gold Coast (I have another car which I've been using). Furthermore, I'm worried that as soon as I take it to a mechanic that they're instantly going to suggest replacing the IP as that's an easy answer that gets $$$ from me, though may not actually be the problem.

Any help is appreciated.

Joel.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate buddy here from Gold Coast patrols and mechanical.

Most common cause for a problem like this on the rd28 is the crank gear timing plate. I will attach a photo.

It's what the crank sensor gets it's signal from , the plate comes loose slops around and the car won't run properly.

www.gcpatrols.com

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have any Questions just ask and be stoked you don't own a
    zd30engine
    Last edited by Budskin1; 19th January 2020 at 09:25 AM.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for such a quick reply Buddy. Is there a way to check for this? And what would be the rough cost to have something like that fixed at your shop? Would this also cause the cam position (pump) error code?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can remove the crank sensor and check for any damaged to it from the metal plate hitting it .

Or remove the harmonic balancer. If you do the Job yourself you need to buy and new balancer bolt and washer . It also needs to be tightened up super tight with a rattle gun and lock tite.

We can do this at the shop . It normally costs a Around $750

We should have heaps of nissan patrol parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Budskin1; 19th January 2020 at 09:50 AM.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No dramas, thanks for that. Now that the rain has stopped for a little bit, I've been trying to remove the crank position sensor, but I can't seem to get it out very easily. I've got the bolt undone that holds it in, but when I slide the sensor out, it's getting stuck on what I believe is the steering pump. Any tricks to getting it out?