OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Dealer Service? or do it myself?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dealer Service? or do it myself?

HI Everyone
    I hate paying someone to do something I can do easily and wondering on advice or what others have felt reasonable or done.

I have a 2011 TI 3L Wagon which is due for its 120000k service. The vehicle has been fully serviced by Nissan dealers its entire life up until this point and as its now due I'm completely happy to perform the service myself. I know its a big service changing all oils ect. The only thing I'm wondering is apart from oil/fluid changes and anything else in the service schedule for the 120k is there anything else the Dealer would do?
    The reason being its obviously out of warranty so no need to keep schedule with Nissan to honor that, and apart from the shiny stamp they will pop in the book for me instead of my signature is it really necessary?
    Will Dealers stamp the book if oils and fluids have been changed and they have checked over the rest? Bit of a half half thing?

Do I just do it myself?

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    120,000km is
    engine oil and filter
    engine air filter
    diesel filter
    front and rear diff oils
    transfercase oil
    manual trans oil
    brake fluid flush
    coolant flush
    re-pack/grease front wheel bearings need new wheel bearing seals to

Thanks
    Thanked 3,765 Times in 1,516 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couldn’t wait for my extended warranty to run out, now I know the service is done properly as I do it myself.
    Easy enough to do.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just do it yourself. If you can drain your sink you can change diff oil. The only thing in that list that's a bit more technical is the wheel bearings. If you're not confident with those, do the rest yourself and drop it at a reputable mechanic to sort them for you.

The only thing "extra" that they would do is maybe run their eyes over everthing else, check for brake wear and leaks ect.
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done all of my servicing on my 2016 Y61 myself, since new. Bugger the warranty, I've had too many bad experiences with dealers. If you do it yourself, you know exactly whats done and what fluids have been used. The wheel bearings are pretty easy if you're mechanically inclined, I repacked mine at 40k and check them every service and give them a nip up if neccesary. It also allows you to learn a lot about your vehicle in the process and makes it easier to solve any issues you may have when remote. I'd consider mine far better mechanically maintained than what a dealer would ever do. If it's something that is beyond my abilities or my toolset, I'll take it to a decent mechanic. One thing on my wish list is a vehicle hoist though, getting a bit old to be crawling around under it!
    2016 GU Legend Edition: 3505Kg GVM Upgrade and Stuff!

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do it your self mate. At least the oils and filters on everything. You'll save $, and get to learn your car better and know whats done and what stuff was used on it.
    2005 TD42TI

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers everyone for the input. Much appreciated.

Looks like the consensus is do it yourself if you can.. so that's exactly what I'm going to do. I'll start rounding up some oils and go from there. As for other things to check like fluid leaks I feel I'm pretty much on top of that as part of my normal maintenance regime which is the Six P's.

Thanks all

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gavcan01 View Post
    I'll start rounding up some oils and go from there.
    If you haven't changed all the oils in one hit previously the cost of the oils is a real eye opener, or at least it was for me! Not a cheap exercise. Getting the oils into the diffs, gearbox & transfer case is much easier if you use the easier flowing synthetics. Make sure you use the specified GL rating. In mine (TD42i) it is GL4 is specified. First time I changed the gearbox oil I thought a later GL5 oil would be ok if not better. Wrong. It isn't. When I finally woke up & replaced it with GL4 oil it made a significant improvement to gear changing when the motor was cold.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheaper for me to get the local 4wd mechanic to do my major service...buying all the parts alone is the same price...lol...let alone having the time to go over the whole car...

Minor services...well I check the rig before every trip so thing get done when they are needed...not much goes wrong with a mechanical diesel if it not thrashed...good ol tractor.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Quad-Drive 4WD Club...Western Australia

We're all here coz we ain't all there...