OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Steering wheel control for Kenwood stereo.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steering wheel control for Kenwood stereo.

Hi all, I have a 2012 that I am thinking about putting steering wheel controls for a Kenwood DNX5180S head unit. Is there anywhere that can sell me the proper fitting hardware? I done the google thing and there seems like lots of options but I would rather get some advise from someone that has already been there.

Cheers all.
    Be the person that your dog thinks you are!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend going to a wreckers a getting the factory steering wheel buttons.
    I did this with my 2004 GU III and Kenwood head unit.
    One of the best mods I've done to improve ease and enjoyment of driving the car.
    Take a look at the write up I did on the installation process. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...d.php?p=787795
    Last edited by Cremulator; 14th January 2020 at 07:12 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cremulator For This Useful Post:

Coldcomfort (15th January 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone know a wrecker that might have one?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd give Niss4x4 a call. They have locations around Australia and can ship to you if you can't get to them.
    They also say on their website that they match prices if they have the part in stock.
    I paid $90 for my buttons, including the loom plug to connect them, from Niss4x4 in Brooklyn.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just tried to do the same to my 2011 model, and contrary to all reports i have read, there were no wires from the stereo to the steering column.

There are spare cores in the clockspring loom, and i grabbed buttons for the steering wheel from Niss4x4 in Brooklyn from a Nissan Elgrand and it came with the steering wheel loom that you need to splice into the existing Cruise Control Loom.

Unfortunately for me, I cant finish mine untill i get a new loom for my Eclipse GPS Unit, as they tightassed the unit, by providing a loom without the wires for the steering wheel control function ......
    Last edited by happygu; 15th January 2020 at 08:48 PM.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygu View Post
    I have just tried to do the same to my 2011 model, and contrary to all reports i have read, there were no wires from the stereo to the steering column.

There are spare cores in the clockspring loom, and i grabbed buttons for the steering wheel from Niss4x4 in Brooklyn from a Nissan Elgrand and it came with the steering wheel loom that you need to splice into the existing Cruise Control Loom.

Unfortunately for me, I cant finish mine untill i get a new loom for my Eclipse GPS Unit, as they tightassed the unit, by providing a loom without the wires for the steering wheel control function ......
    Is yours a factory head unit @happygu?

The button modules are the same across multiple Nissan models from what I have researched, but many of them we didn't get in Australia;
    (The year models are guestimates from photos of vehicles that were for sale and could actually span greater production years)

2010 Nissan Patrol Ti

2001–2003 Nissan Maxima

2003 Infinity Q45

2003 Nissan Cima F50

2002–2004 Nissan Altima

1999–2004 Nissan Gloria/Cedric (Y34)

2003?–2005? Nissan Elgrand E51

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive been poking around and come up with this.

The part number for the stereo control switch bank on the steering wheel is 25552VD21A

I have been told that Nissan dont sell them anymore. Too expensive anyway @ $291.96. Found the same thing on EBAY for $US85. Kenwood can supple a OEM Direct cable and installation instructions for the Nissan wiring for $24. The guy I spoke with at Kenwood (Jeremy) says with this cable there is no need for adapter box's. It wires straight to existing wiring.

Ive ordered the switch and the OEM Direct loom. So hopfully in a week or two I can move forward.

Cheers, all.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent! Sounds pretty straightforward. Do update us on how it goes. I'd be interested to see the OEM loom from Kenwood.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cremulator View Post
    Is yours a factory head unit @happygu?

The button modules are the same across multiple Nissan models from what I have researched, but many of them we didn't get in Australia;
    (The year models are guestimates from photos of vehicles that were for sale and could actually span greater production years)

2010 Nissan Patrol Ti

2001–2003 Nissan Maxima

2003 Infinity Q45

2003 Nissan Cima F50

2002–2004 Nissan Altima

1999–2004 Nissan Gloria/Cedric (Y34)

2003?–2005? Nissan Elgrand E51

Yes, mine is the factory Eclipse AVN726EA Unit, but the loom that comes out of the Unit which supposedly has the Steering Wheel Control Cabling on it, only has 2 wires out of the 16 - 20 fitted ..... unless i am reading it all wrong, as the information i have is a little sketchy.

i hooked up the buttons on the steering wheel hoping it would all work, and nothing .... that is when i pulled out the unit to confirm wire colours and connections......

I have installed the Steering Wheel end, and was going to check the bottom of the steering wheel loom to see if there is any wires connected at the lower end of the column.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (17th January 2020)