User Tag List

Thread: Second car?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second car?

Hey fellas, after some real world, honest feedback on if I should look into a second car or not.

My patrol is a 2006 4.2 wagon. I paid 21k for it two years ago (a steal, I know), it’s insured for 35k and I think I’d get about 30k for it.

I bought it at 220000k and I’m at 270000 now, so that’s 50000 in two years.

I’m back in melb full time now and using it as my daily, initially when I was living in the NT I had a work car.

I love the car but it’s a pain driving it and parking down here and hate putting Ks on it.
    I don’t plan on ever selling it, but I’m not sure if it’s worth spending money on a second car.

If I did buy a second car, it’d probably be a falcon for no more than $3k. But then there’s rego and insurance on top. It would mean that the patrol would only be doing maybe 5000ks a year though.
    Fuel isn’t an issue as I have a fuel card.
    Iv just bought my first house so money is on my mind but the job site I’m on at the moment is a 90k return trip each day and it does hurt putting ks on the old girl.

What are your thoughts? How much depreciation will I put on the patrol if I keep driving it? Not that il ever sell it but yeah still a crappy feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2006 4.2 tdi wagon
    TJM BullBar and bar work, Light bar & spotlights, Airtech snorkel, tradie rack, blocked egr, 2inch lift on 33s and a 3 inch exhaust to go with it all.
    Plenty more to come!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If it were me, and when I was in that situation (only difference being I didn't have a fuel card) I bought a $1000 Corolla. It was more to keep the kms off the Patrol than anything else. But the best part was I could take my time with repairs as I did not need it to get me to work every day, this saved me thousands in labour and paid for the Corolla and the costs that went with it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

dpetersen (8th January 2020), Pete49 (10th January 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you buy a Falcon, get the model before they downsized the fluid pump in the auto. Been told it was downgraded in the AU, but do a bit of research. Can't beat Corollas, especially the 2004 and similar. They used a timing chain instead of the dreaded timing belt. We bought mudnutette a 2004, did a complete service and have kept on top regular servicing.
    It has proved to be bullet proof.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

dpetersen (8th January 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies so far.
    The reason i was thinking falcon was because iv always had them before the patrol. Au was the best model, dads has 450000 and still going. Easy enough to gets parts if it brakes down.
    I like the idea of being able to take my time when doing jobs on the patrol too without having to rush it!

2006 4.2 tdi wagon
    TJM BullBar and bar work, Light bar & spotlights, Airtech snorkel, tradie rack, blocked egr, 2inch lift on 33s and a 3 inch exhaust to go with it all.
    Plenty more to come!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dpetersen For This Useful Post:

mudnut (8th January 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The missus has a 2007 focus she bought for $2500 with 140,000kms ...it's a good little runabout vehicle, has a timing chain instead of a belt. Oil filter location is very easy to access. Visibility for left-hand shoulder checks prior to lane changes not great.
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a magna for next to nothing and the money I save on fuel over the year well and truely covers the extra rego and insurance.. But I don't have a fuel card either. Works out to 600km a fn I'm not putting on the patrol too.

Like Winnie mentioned.. You can take your time and enjoy doing bits and pieces to the patrol if you've got another daily. Take on the bigger jobs and not get stuck when you need to wait for parts. Plus, if your daily breaks you have the patrol to drive while you're fixing that. Couldn't imagine not having it now.
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with all great blokes kind advice above DP mate, a 2006 TD42Ti is Golden IMHO!
    In regards annual insurance potentially outweighing other well advised savings, do make sure my friend that you don’t barstardise it too much rendering it needing custom expensive ++++ mods genuine payable insurance etc....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

dpetersen (10th January 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks fellas!

2006 4.2 tdi wagon
    Plenty more to come!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We gave the wife's car away when we headed off into the blue yonder back in June '18. It was a little mitsubishi mirage two door hatchback. Bought it with 80K on it & ran it without any major issue for 6 or 7 years mostly on roads which would normally wreck cheap Japanese cars. It's light weight may have had something to do with how well it handled dirt roads. Not fast, but handled really well due to it's Lancer front end. A friend of a friends car had just karked it so we gave it to her rather than stuff around trying to sell a car that we would have got a grand or less for, & she got a reliable means of transport. When we get home it'll make sense to have a cheap 2nd car to get around in again to 'save' adding mileage to the Patrol, but as yet we are not sure how long we'd have to be staying at home for to make the cost of 2 regos & insurance worthwhile.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m used to sitting up high. To me it is strange driving a sedan, feels as though my bum is dragging on the ground, and I am looking up at yaris drivers. Look at a mazda tribute. Ugly, weird column shift auto, lots of goodies, cheap and reliable!
    And almost proper 4x4....
    Last edited by Mickhead; 11th January 2020 at 04:27 PM.