Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Channel Country advice

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About ten years ago we were put onto that secret yabbie spot. Between us and the publican we feasted on then for two days.

We had a couple of our sons with us that could drive, so while we enjoyed an ale they kept driving out setting traps, collecting yabbies, for hours.

Those were the days

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When there is water in the Paroo River at Wanaaring there are more yabbies than you can possibly eat! Under the first bridge heading out of town towards Bourke. We were there for about 90 minutes and collected four buckets full. I usually boil them in water with salt added, then tail them and then saute the tails quickly in a pan with a bit of olive oil and garlic.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,947 Times in 3,370 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsGU View Post
    When there is water in the Paroo River at Wanaaring there are more yabbies than you can possibly eat! Under the first bridge heading out of town towards Bourke. We were there for about 90 minutes and collected four buckets full. I usually boil them in water with salt added, then tail them and then saute the tails quickly in a pan with a bit of olive oil and garlic.
    Ohh yess! I havent been yabbying for over 25 years but we. Did what you did except sauteed in orange and lemon juice. Younger taste buds back then. Garlic and olive oil sounds superb now.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

Thanks
    Thanked 7,401 Times in 2,994 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We camped on a waterhole on the southern side of Wanaaring, about 10'ish kms out of town. Didn't try for yabbies but got a good feed of 'Yellowbelly, which contrary to their name are all white in the Paroo.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    We camped on a waterhole on the southern side of Wanaaring, about 10'ish kms out of town. Didn't try for yabbies but got a good feed of 'Yellowbelly, which contrary to their name are all white in the Paroo.
    Yellowbelly are white when the rivers are running as it cleans out the mud in their system which gives the yellow colouring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    Yellowbelly are white when the rivers are running as it cleans out the mud in their system which gives the yellow colouring.

I wonder if it might take them a while to get the yellow colouring when the river stops running. The Paroo was definitely not running when I caught them, in fact we had been told when in White Cliffs that we might as well forget fishing as the Paroo had all but dried up. However we got lucky & met a station owner in the Wanaaring pub who invited us to camp at his waterhole. We were expecting a 'duck pond', but his waterhole was several kilometres long, part of it on his station, & part in the Nocoleche Nature park. I'd reckon anyone spending an evening in the pub would likely run into the chap. A few pics of the place in the following link to the blog entry I wrote.
    http://cuppa500.com/Blog/2017/08/02/...-to-wanaaring/ We enjoyed Wanaaring & the waterhole & went back a second time when we drove from Tibooburra To Bourke on our way back from the Channel Country 2 or 3 months later & were remembered.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been to Wanaaring many times and love the place. There is talk that the road from Bourke to Wanaaring will be fully seald by the end of this year. The locals have heard this before - but if it does happen it will be a great boost for the town. The only thing stopping a lot of grey nomads from going there is the many k's of (often not so good) dirt road.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been to Wanaaring many times and love the place. There is talk that the road from Bourke to Wanaaring will be fully seald by the end of this year. The locals have heard this before - but if it does happen it will be a great boost for the town. The only thing stopping a lot of grey nomads from going there is the many k's of (often not so good) dirt road.
    https://bourke.nsw.gov.au/wp-content...3/mr190308.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am astonished! Much as I like Wanaaring it is a tiny place with a tiny population & very little there. Hard to justify the cost on the basis of need. Doubtful it will increase tourism by any great amount unless the road west, south or north is also sealed. I certainly do not begrudge those living there the good fortune of the road getting sealed but am gobsmacked that it is to occur when I have little doubt that there are other larger centres of population in greater need. I guess there was/is a strong political need to keep the National party happy & provide some employment in Bourke.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12