Thread: New to this, zd30 boosting all over the shop

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question New to this, zd30 boosting all over the shop

Ok so i just brought a 2006 zd30tddi manual 355000ks stock as a rock bar from bull bar and snorkel.
    I have fitted boost and egt gauges but having trouble with boost or so I think so.
    Here's what's happing,
    First and second gear no problems with boost nice and smooth and holds around 15/18 psi
    Third gear will go 10 psi then drop to 3 psi then will stay there for a bit then it will go to 15 psi and then I feel a jerk then goes straight back down to 3 or even 0 psi
    Pretty much the same with forth an fifth
    Is this normal for a vnt turbo
    Help would be much appreciated

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so a 2006 model is not a crd . i reckon your probably hitting limp mode . if you have a dawse and needle valve , adjust the boost to 15 psi , above this you will hit limp mode . use the needle valve to control the rate that the turbo spools up . if you don't have dawse and needle valves my guess is that either you have a 3 inch pipe , or a egt blanking plate or both and they are causing the erratic boost issue , in which case you need a dawes and needle valves to control the boost . but first check all hoses and connections and intercooler for leaks / splits .
    Last edited by nipagu7; 27th December 2019 at 11:00 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nipagu7 For This Useful Post:

mihit (5th April 2023)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nipagu7 View Post
    so a 2006 model is not a crd . i reckon your probably hitting limp mode . if you have a dawse and needle valve , adjust the boost to 15 psi , above this you will hit limp mode . use the needle valve to control the rate that the turbo spools up . if you don't have dawse and needle valves my guess is that either you have a 3 inch pipe , or a egt blanking plate or both and they are causing the erratic boost issue , in which case you need a dawes and needle valves to control the boost . but first check all hoses and connections and intercooler for leaks / splits .
    Thanks for reply
    Yup 2006 model with direct injection
    Has stock exshaust
    Not sure on egr blanking plate how do i tell ?
    Replaced all vacuum lines
    Checked actuator holds vacuum and does not leak
    Intercooler has been pressure tested to 20 psi was good no leaks
    No codes coming on
    The vains are free (easy to move up and down )
    I also have clean maf/map sensors
    Changed boost control solenoid (tested and works fine)
    And if I put my foot down to over take or hill climb it will still pick up and go but I'll have no boost (in between 0-3psi
    I have no idea what it could be

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when the boost drops ( say under load , going up a hill ) if you lift your foot off the pedal momentairly then accelerate again , does the boost come up before dropping again . it sounds like this is what is happening . this is hitting limp mode . i am not sure but , i don't think a code is registered when this happens . i would suggest fitting a dawse and needle valve . search this site for info on these valves and also the blanking plates there is lots of pictures , diagrams and location information here that can help you understand and fit and adjust these items if you wish to do so . they are one of ,if not the most common mods that people make to zd motors . study up on these as when they are properly set up you can use them to fine tune them to have the car running the way you want . they are part of the nads system and most would suggest you apply this to your car .

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when the boost drops ( say under load , going up a hill ) if you lift your foot off the pedal momentairly then accelerate again , does the boost come up before dropping again . it sounds like this is what is happening . this is hitting limp mode . i am not sure but , i don't think a code is registered when this happens . i would suggest fitting a dawse and needle valve . search this site for info on these valves and also the blanking plates there is lots of pictures , diagrams and location information here that can help you understand and fit and adjust these items if you wish to do so . they are one of ,if not the most common mods that people make to zd motors . study up on these as when they are properly set up you can use them to fine tune them to have the car running the way you want . they are part of the nads system and most would suggest you apply this to your car .
    Hey mate thanks for the input I'll look up the dawes and needle valve
    Also I was having a fiddle this morning and found that the little grub screw thingy that stop the vain arm was all the way out and not stopping it could this be a factor ?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    possibley . the boost actuator is very sensitive .i have never played with mine , but others that have , have run into difficulty getting it adjusted right . most just leave it as is from factory. the grub screw has a locknut on it , if it is loose or has vibrated off and the grubscrew has moved it maybe the problem . there are paint markings on it that may help get it back to the right position

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    possibley . the boost actuator is very sensitive .i have never played with mine , but others that have , have run into difficulty getting it adjusted right . most just leave it as is from factory. the grub screw has a locknut on it , if it is loose or has vibrated off and the grubscrew has moved it maybe the problem . there are paint markings on it that may help get it back to the right position
    Ok thanks I want it to be just stock not trying to mod it or anything
    But the grub screw dosnt have a locking nut on it also do you think you could post a pic for a reference for me I know it's not gunna be the same but just give me a ball part figure to start thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Can I ask which intercooler you have?
    If its stock and oily its leaking they all do.
    best to buy a fully tigged after market one
    Brunswick diesel sell great ones, while your at it you
    might want to block the egr valve as well.
    a highly recommended mod
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Can I ask which intercooler you have?
    If its stock and oily its leaking they all do.
    best to buy a fully tigged after market one
    Brunswick diesel sell great ones, while your at it you
    might want to block the egr valve as well.
    a highly recommended mod
    Hey mate stock intercooler as far as I know but it's tig welded and has been pressure tested and all ok

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Theoblackhammer For This Useful Post:

threedogs (28th December 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Theoblackhammer View Post
    Hey mate stock intercooler as far as I know but it's tig welded and has been pressure tested and all ok
    good if they look oily they are leaking even if just a small oily patch
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast