Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air Compressor Advice

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hadn't heard of the Sherpa before. Suspect you made a good choice.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,337 Times in 764 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the ARB single and thought it wasn't bad.

I went bought a Kings Thumper single and it is very good. Very robust and pretty fast, faster than the ARB unit and for the price good value for money.

I'd buy it again.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was very impressed with the phone service, both for knowledge and technical data (I am a science and engineering teacher) and customer service.
    The concept behind their compressor is to have high flow down low and up to 80 psi load as that is where tyre inflation happens. No need to brag about 200 psi max (and when you read those specs from ARB, TJM, etc) the flow at those pressures is not great.

To achieve this they use a winch motor to run the compressor and massive piston to match the grunt. The downside is due to the winch motor its 100amp for the 12V and 50 amp for the 24V max draw, which is a lot for a air compressor lol

Sherpa Big Air Specs 10+ cfm at 0 PSI, 10 cfm @ 20, 7.9 @ 40 (Full truck tire) and 5.2 @ 80 (Transport tire). when compared to ARB Twin which is 6.16 CFM @ 0 and 4.68 @ 30.
    The Sherpa should flow just under twice as much.

Looking forward to trying it out, I am going to do a tyre inflate race with my TJM loven buddy and his brand new "state of the art" TJM compressor

5. The Following User Says Thank You to The Negz For This Useful Post:

MB (18th December 2019)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Hadn't heard of the Sherpa before. Suspect you made a good choice."

Neither had I until I was tracking down 24V units. But the specs look good and so do their winches, big lbs and decent pull speeds. I'll do some time test on Tyres I have laying around and see how fast it can inflate a 32 or 35 from zero, and might even try and set a bead (prob need a ratchet strap)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to The Negz For This Useful Post:

MB (18th December 2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12