Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Air Compressor Advice

Hello All,

1988 GQ Patrol Need a descent compressor for inflating 32" tyres

24V truck: So my selection of Compressors is limited. I was looking for an underhood mount with front and rear fittings.

So I have been looking around for a 24V compressor for my dedicated tourer. And my next trip has me beach camping my way up to Cairns so I will be on and off the sand heaps and will be doing lots of inflating.

What are your opinions on my options. The more expensive units are based on the shit talk of my TJM loving mate, I assume heaps of people run the ARB Single all day every day no problems.

ARB High Output Single $345. I had settled on this one but talking to a buddy who has run the 12V version and now on the new TJM 100% duty cycle (vs 50% for ARB), says its night and day and not to get it.

Air On Board compressor with 9L Tank $358: Much more affordable but now need to mount a tank. https://www.aironboard.com.au/store/...ersal-kit.html

Boss Air System $669. Looks to be a better compressor than the air onboard and still has a tank https://bossairsuspension.com.au/onb...ack-air-pro-3/

ARB Twin High Output $890 With Air Tank and lots of extras (Christmas Deal) or $650 For just the twin. A big step up in price but it does have a small 4L tank Tyre repair kit, Digital Inflator etc. I also was looking to mount under the hood and run a fitting to the rear or front and think this unit will be too big. Also the price

Endless Air $800: For 900 bucks I can get the endless air belt drive system. just not sure I can get in shipped and installed before I leave on the 28th.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,401 Times in 2,994 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I could have fitted it, an Endless Air unit would have been my choice, but on the later td42i gu it requires a bit of chassis butchering which i wasn't happy about. So I got a Boss PX7 & have been happy with it. I have a 9 litre tank which in hindsight isn't really needed for inflating tyres, & is too small to be useful for most air tools. Being able to use a blow gun whilst travelling has been useful to clean/dust stuff when doing any mechanical work on many occasions however. Based upon my experience I'd say that a smaller tank would be pretty much good for nothing. 100% duty cycle is very worthwhile however, especially in the warmer parts of the country.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 15th December 2019 at 12:49 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,385 Times in 6,249 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can't compare to the TJM or any other units, but I have the single ARB compressor and although it's reliable and gets the job done, I really regret not getting the twin.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Hodge (15th December 2019), mudnut (15th December 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,451 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have a single ARB too. If i had the choice again the the Twin would get my coin too.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Hodge (15th December 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,701 Times in 1,997 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is something that I will do and it looks like the twin is the way to go.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am putting in a call to Boss tomorrow to ask about the PX07 as a stand-alone compressor as it seems to flow the same as the ARB Single but is 100% duty. but for 500 its pretty close to the twin and will come down to size

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 6,418 Posts
    Mentioned
    459 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I run the ARB twin and its good. Not sure how good it is against other brands though. My only gripe is the small air tank that it has get a lot of moisture in it. But being mounted under the passenger seat, I have yet found an inline filter that I can fit under there.
    Running the compressor, relay and switch of one battery is all you do in a 24v system.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,647 Times in 2,645 Posts
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Negz View Post
    I am putting in a call to Boss tomorrow to ask about the PX07 as a stand-alone compressor as it seems to flow the same as the ARB Single but is 100% duty. but for 500 its pretty close to the twin and will come down to size
    The PX-07 is selling for $349/free shipping on ebay right now. Its a huge difference in price for something that will be used infrequently I would think. I looked at both and the performance is so similar so I went the PX-07 - yet to use it, and have no experience with the ARB twin, but if its like the other two ARB units I have it will be a beauty for sure - simply not convinced on the $ side of the equation. I did however have my ARB difflock compressor fail due to the piston seizing in the bore, however it was covered under warranty. I also liked the readily avail. re-build kit for the PX-07, however you could also ask why such a kit is readily avail - maybe they don't last under constant duty load?
    Last edited by PeeBee; 16th December 2019 at 01:56 PM.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for the advice, Boss had no PZ07 in stock and all the eBay listing where a bit jacked up. Also, boss highly suggests a receiver tank and with 2 weeks before I leave trying to find and fit it was going to be a pain.

I ended up going with the Sherpa Big Air unit, it can be mounted our used as portable. it's cheaper than the Boss air with a tank etc. The flow specs are impressive with 5.2cfm at 80 PSI that is leaps and bounds compared to others and its 100% duty.
    https://www.sherpa4x4.com.au/collect...air-compressor
    The 12V version is 100 amp draw so makes sense where it gets the grunt from.

Thank you all for the advice this forum never lets me down.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,215 Times in 4,942 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really keen to hear your hopeful expected good feedback on the Sherpa Negz mate!
    Did buy a 17,000lb Mule winch from them for an obscure application (lazy still not installed) quite a while ago and were more than impressed with their technical assistance backing emails wise and verbally helped too.
    Have been receiving email new product updates regularly since and reckon when my older faithful ARB Twin gives up the ghost (if ever :-) might worthy try their impressive sent update new Sherpa product advice too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast