Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thunderbolts High/Way Summer Preparations

G’day NP.com.au Team,
    Just recently crossed Thunderbolts Way - NSW, East to North/West for my first time.

A truly beautiful scenic highway run and one of our major cut throughs from the Pacific back inland to the New England/Oxley Highways.
    An honest Thunderbolt word of warning here though Good Caravanning folks, “Be Prepared” East<>West<>East either way “Scouts Honour” :-) !
    Unfortunately witnessed some very sizeable Caravans, most noticeably smelt them stinking hot in brake shoe horror descending way way too fast past me whilst climbing only its first 12% gradient in the old GQ.

So summer steep and demanding those mountains are the old faithful unladen ute started just licking its limits and decided to give her a passionate high idle water pump/fan spinning rest for a few minutes to regain composure:-)

This is a serious climb and worthy of respect from whichever direction you travel folks, so much so the locals have kindly made pit stops if ever in full summer needed.

Carson’s Lookout is magnificent folks and well worth the pre-planning/smart gearing choices

Take care, stay safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

AB (11th December 2019), BrazilianY60 (15th March 2022), Clunk (11th December 2019), Cremulator (9th December 2019), Cuppa (8th December 2019), jay see (8th December 2019), MudRunnerTD (8th December 2019), pearcey (10th December 2019), Rossco (8th December 2019), Softy (11th December 2019), VK2FMIA (10th December 2019), Woof (8th December 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mate! Have travelled that road many a time, it's the quickest/less trafficy way from sydney to armidale. The lookout is spectacular, it's especially amazing in the dead of night on a clear night sky.

Famously that area was where malcolm naden evaded police for many years until being caught around 5 years ago. Great pies at nowendoc, just of the road and great camping along the rivers on the north side of the road.

I also got stuck halfway up the hill beading to Uralla, about 10 years ago. Mudslide on the road completely covered the road and made it impassable.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

Clunk (11th December 2019), MB (8th December 2019), Rossco (8th December 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 294 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, been up & down that road a few times - my neck of the woods(well, the ar$e end of it). Some great tracks thru the scrub to the north of the highway. Takes nearly 3 days to drive the tracks from Gloucester to Armidale. Spent a lot of time touring & camping around that area when Nadin was on the loose. They caught him not far from where we had camped 2 weeks before.
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt

7. The Following User Says Thank You to VK2FMIA For This Useful Post:

MB (10th December 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was heading south on that road in our rear drum braked Patrol, towing the Tvan, approx 5 tonne all up, which convinced me to shell out for EBC Yellow stuff pads for the front. The Greenstuff pads I had in at the time didn't let us down, but I felt pads with a higher temp rating were a good idea!

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

MB (11th December 2019), rusty_nail (11th December 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thunderbolts High/Way Summer Preparations

They definitely sound like great pads thanks Cuppa mate, would be very reassuring having them onboard down that ripper mountain for sure!
    Any chance when time kindly permits of a linky to them please, would be very keen to look into them for the family GU 2001 wagon fronts as Mrs MB is soon upgrading to a bigger float for her Nags in our home hills.
    Cheers!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,765 Times in 1,516 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    They definitely sound like great pads thanks Cuppa mate, would be very reassuring having them onboard down that ripper mountain for sure!
    Any chance when time kindly permits of a linky to them please, would be very keen to look into them for the family GU 2001 wagon fronts as Mrs MB is soon upgrading to a bigger float for her Nags in our home hills.
    Cheers!

Hi Mark,

Pretty sure that Cuppa will reply as well, I’ve also got these pads on his recommendation. Coupled with the dimpled and slotted rotors they have preformed exceptionally well. Got them at the start of the year and they’ve been through some pretty rugged country towing a 2.5 ton van.
    Got mine from sparesbox.com.au, was the best price in Aus and very easy to deal with. I’d highly recommend the brakes and the supplier.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jack For This Useful Post:

MB (11th December 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mark,
    I bought mine direct from the Aussie distributor, RDA brakes in Keysborough, Vic. but only fitted them recently after eventually wearing out a set of Greenstuff 6000 pads. They were happy to supply me direct by mail. Contact was Nick Fahey. nfahey@rdabrakes.com.au. I also have the rda dimpled & slotted discs.

The Yellowstuff series were originally made for Race/trackday use on cars, but have since morphed into truck use & they have pads to suit Patrols.

https://brakesdirect.com.au/ebc
    http://rdabrakes.com.au/page/Product...rake-pads.aspx
    https://ebcbrakes.com/product/yellow...nd-track-pads/
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EBC-YELL...-/271595734423 (gives part nos for Patrol)

Not cheap, but combined with the dimpled/slotted rotors they would be hard to beat.One day I might get around to fitting braided lines too.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

MB (11th December 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome Cuppa mate, thank you heaps here, safely appreciated

Thanks
    Thanked 3,765 Times in 1,516 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Hi Mark,
    I bought mine direct from the Aussie distributor, RDA brakes in Keysborough, Vic. but only fitted them recently after eventually wearing out a set of Greenstuff 6000 pads. They were happy to supply me direct by mail. Contact was Nick Fahey. nfahey@rdabrakes.com.au. I also have the rda dimpled & slotted discs.

The Yellowstuff series were originally made for Race/trackday use on cars, but have since morphed into truck use & they have pads to suit Patrols.

https://brakesdirect.com.au/ebc
    http://rdabrakes.com.au/page/Product...rake-pads.aspx
    https://ebcbrakes.com/product/yellow...nd-track-pads/
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EBC-YELL...-/271595734423 (gives part nos for Patrol)

Not cheap, but combined with the dimpled/slotted rotors they would be hard to beat.One day I might get around to fitting braided lines too.
    Hi Cuppa,

When I tried the distributor direct in Feb they no longer sold direct to the public. They sent me to the local agent who was nearly twice the price of what I eventually paid.

@MB thinking back I think I only got the rotors from sparesbox and the pads from eBay.

Cheers
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jack For This Useful Post:

MB (13th December 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Jack Mate!