OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going back overseas - Keep or Sell our Patrol?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going back overseas - Keep or Sell our Patrol?

Hi, folks

as the title says I am thinking about keeping our beloved Patrol, who brought us 40.000km around Oz in the last months. We are Germans (no backpackers! ) and your government and my account balance wants us to go back home and earn some money, but a little bit more 4WDing in the future won`t hurt, right? Much easier if we have a car when we come back instead of starting over.

We have a friend in NSW, who would take care or the car, but she is not very responsive right know and I am looking for alternatives just in case she breaks her promise.

Some facts about the car, that might influence your opinion:

- VIC Rego and officially garaged in VIC (I also have a VIC drivers licence)
    - It is a stock Patrol without snorkel or winch (yet) but automatic and in very good condition, 293.000km on the clock
    - it is a 2001 ZD30
    - complete camp setup with roof top tent, fridge, dual battery, solar, ...

Looks like leaving the car in NSW with a friend means a bit of paperwork as I am not sure if I can leave it registered in VIC while i am not present.

Do you have any experiences or ideas?
    Last edited by normi; 9th December 2019 at 09:40 AM.
    #2001 GU Patrol #ZD30 (aka hand grenade) #4-speed-auto
    #290k+ #40k around Australia
    #noliftkit #nosnorkel #nowinch #shittytyres #maxtrax #dualbattery
    #fulltimecamping #thereisalwaysinthefridge

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,495 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would look at a Caravan Storage place. maybe $1 a day for storage mate. Put a Cover over it and come back when your ready.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,002 Times in 3,397 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    I would look at a Caravan Storage place. maybe $1 a day for storage mate. Put a Cover over it and come back when your ready.
    Agree. Plenty of $1/day boat/caravan storage yards around. That's about €0.5 per week. Give you 10 seconds to think about it Norman! Keep the rego paid up and Vic Roads has no idea where the car is.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's registered in your name in Vic you can keep it wherever you like provided the vic garage address remains. You can set up online payments to keep the car registered with VicRoads. Our car hasn't been in Vic for 18 months, not a problem.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 6th December 2019 at 08:22 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long do you intend to be away from AU ?, this is the real question IMO, as no car likes to sit doing nothing, its almost the worst thing you can do to one, of course the problem when you have someone else drives it, is they may not service and maintain it properly, or may crash it.

Just like the Y62 at my local dealer, left it with relatives to drive while he was away, they did 30,000 Ks without getting a service (3 service missed) now the guy is up for 20K for a new engine, and has no car for months.

I think 0-6 Months, id put it in storage, anything longer than that , id take all accessories off, tent etc (let your friend keep them for you) and just sell the car, easy for you to pre purchase another one before you arrive, and plenty of well informed forum members will go inspect a car pre purchase for nice people offering beer

Easy to keep control of things "without" a car here if your situation does change while back home, and you don't return for a long time.
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 04OFF For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (6th December 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 614 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get rid of it. 293,000 kms on a 2001 ZD30 with no NADS is already a big risk. Leaving it lying around somewhere not being used is not a good idea either.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (6th December 2019), normi (7th December 2019)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leaving in January and probably come back for the dry season up north in QLD in 2021 IF things work out..

I find selling the best option, too. But finding a decent car is not super easy. We tested 3 cars. The car we ended up buying was and is super smooth and easy to drive with the auto. The other were very worn.. the steering wheel, clutch, shifting gears was too soft/worn. I found it not easy to find a well maintained and cheap car in a short time. That’s probably the big burden of us tourists

Does anybody has a number what it costs to repair the grenade after the detonation? I read there are different variations what can break, but are we talking about $2000 or rather $5000 or is it impossible to estimate?
    #2001 GU Patrol #ZD30 (aka hand grenade) #4-speed-auto
    #290k+ #40k around Australia
    #noliftkit #nosnorkel #nowinch #shittytyres #maxtrax #dualbattery
    #fulltimecamping #thereisalwaysinthefridge

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The people I know of that have had this happen, seem to end up paying between 8- 12K, hence why I bought a Petrol GU, they laughed until they realised they had spent 10k more than me on a Patrol, to save 1/2 the cost on fuel, only to have the motor blow, then they had to spend another 10k, so now im 20k in front...…..20k buys a lot of Petrol.

It also seems that rebuilding the ZD30 is not a guarantee the engine wont blow again, so what im saying is, if your not doing a full lap next time, you may find a Petrol Patrol will fill your needs, and they are cheap to purchase and very reliable, even after a few Ks ,mine had done over 320,000 when I sold it, still with no ENG worries at all.
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As above. I vote for getting rid of it and getting some $ for it while it's worth something. And then if and when you return again, invest in something again. Who knows what you will find when you come back.
    Time and value in vehicles moves very quickly.
    2005 TD42TI

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going back overseas - Keep or Sell our Patrol?

Another supporter for selling and re-buying if and when you return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by shakey55; 9th December 2019 at 09:00 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast