Thread: Air Compressor puzzle.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Air Compressor puzzle.

The air compressor in our car feeds into an air tank which has the usual pressure cut off switch & a pressure relief valve (PRV).

Recently I noticed that the compressor was continuing to run after it reached the cut off switch's upper limit, & would continue to run eventually causing the PRV to vent.

I assumed that a new cut off switch was needed, bought one & today I fitted it.

BUT it has made zero difference. The compressor still doesn't cut out when it reaches the switch's pre set pressure.

I''m wondering of I have a faulty new pressure switch but also whether there might be some other cause. Can't think of anything else though. The hole the switch screws into isn't blocked.

Any ideas?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would assume the signal line to the compressor from the switch is corrupt in some way. Is the switch single or two wires? If its two wires there should be current running through the switch when the compressor is on. If its single wire, it will just be an earth point. But from memory its two wire. My knowledge is very limited to electrical stuff, does the compressor run if you disconnect the switch?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have you made any other changes or additions to your system? Is thebpressute switch going to a relay? It is a simple positive In Out switch. Run a got wire from the battery to the pressure switch to the compressor and isolate it from the rest of the car and test. If it turns off it is your loom, if it runs on then the new switch is knackered too. Is the pressure switch bolted to the compressor? Change ports.

In fact...... change ports first. Bet that is your trouble.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unlikely a new switch is faulty - but not impossible.
    Just disconnect (at least) one wire from the pressure switch and the pump should stop. If so, it means the problem will likely be the pressure not getting to the pressure switch to operate it. Make sure that air freely escapes from the hole when you remove the pressure switch, and there is no obstruction possible when it is fitted.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As others have said... usually a symptom of a faulty switch or blocked pressure port due to corrosion

Assuming the PRV and Pressure Switch are not integrated
    1 - remove pressure switch (leave wiring connected), run compressor if tank is empty, either way air should freely escape switch port - if not port is blocked
    2 - remove wire from switch, compressor should stop - if not wire is low resistance to earth (pressure switch should be on earth side of comp not 12V)
    Last edited by the evil twin; 12th October 2019 at 11:38 AM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Have you made any other changes or additions to your system? Is thebpressute switch going to a relay? It is a simple positive In Out switch. Run a got wire from the battery to the pressure switch to the compressor and isolate it from the rest of the car and test. If it turns off it is your loom, if it runs on then the new switch is knackered too. Is the pressure switch bolted to the compressor? Change ports.

In fact...... change ports first. Bet that is your trouble.
    Pressure switch is on the tank. One wire in, one out. Connect the two wires together without the pressure switch & compressor runs. Connect to pressure switch & compressor runs. No problem with the loom. Suggests it is the new switch I think. Not sure what you mean by 'change ports', ... is that if the pressure switch is on the compressor?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brissieboy View Post
    Unlikely a new switch is faulty - but not impossible.
    Just disconnect (at least) one wire from the pressure switch and the pump should stop. If so, it means the problem will likely be the pressure not getting to the pressure switch to operate it. Make sure that air freely escapes from the hole when you remove the pressure switch, and there is no obstruction possible when it is fitted.
    Pressure builds past 150psi (this is the max the gauge reads & is also the cut off pressure for the switch) until the tank releases pressure via the PRV. With switch removed the hole is clear.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    As others have said... usually a symptom of a faulty switch or blocked pressure port due to corrosion

Assuming the PRV and Pressure Switch are not integrated
    1 - remove pressure switch (leave wiring connected), run compressor if tank is empty, either way air should freely escape switch port - if not port is blocked
    2 - remove wire from switch, compressor should stop - if not wire is low resistance to earth (pressure switch should be on earth side of comp not 12V)
    1. yep air escapes
    2. remove wire & compressor stops.

Still seems to me that the new switch is faulty. Old switch had a slight build up of brown water staining, but new switch should have been an instant fix I reckon.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hmmm... does sound like you got a dodgy new switch then Cobber.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I've sussed it, but wont know for certain until I get another pressure switch.

There was another possibility not mentioned by anyone & which I certainly hadn't considered.

I thought that the way Pressure Relief Valves worked was that they would reach their blow off pressure & then WHOOSH, they would 'let go all at once. Well it turns our they sort of do, but not quite in that way.

When getting close to their blow off pressure they, or at least mine, start to let air out quite slowly & gently, & only when the compressor keeps pumping in air faster than the PRV is releasing it does it blow off in a big way.

It appears that my PRV is a 150psi unit, same as the cut off pressure for the pressure switch. So when the pressure gauge is reading 150psi, air is slowly & quietly being leaked from the PRV & consquently the switch is not activated.

I will now get a pressure switch with a lower cut off pressure - the previous one was 140psi & was ok until moisture (I suspect) killed it after 5 years. Fingers crossed.

It wasn't until I turned both the compressor & the car's engine off (I run the car whilst using the compressor) having pumped 150 psi into the tank (according to the gauge which I suspect might not be super accurate at it's upper limit) that I heard a small telltale his of air escaping & sure enough it was the PRV.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

the evil twin (13th October 2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast